Notary Rotary
What money does to people...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky on 3/26/05 8:56pm
Msg #27856

The other day I verbally accepted a signing and then realized the location of the signing is accross state line. I called the SS and aplogized in plenty of time for them to get a notary in the same state as the borrower's residence. The location is only a 15 min. drive, hence my carelessness in accepting the assignment in the first place. The SS say's to me...just sign it and put your state on the docs.

I am wondering how many notaries who perform these "illegal" acts have actually been caught and faced legal charges. Notaries need to see these and be aware of reality.

Reply by Jeanie on 3/27/05 12:43am
Msg #27893

Amazing isn't it!!! I get asked fairly often to back date docs. I always tell the SS or Title Co. that it is a felony to back date docs. Most reply, "no it's not" or "are you sure" or "I didn't know that". If they argue with me on legality I request they fax a signed letter explicitly stating what they want me to do. It always suprises me how quickly they decide maybe I'm right and this is illegal!!!!!!! However, twice someone was stupid enough to send me a signed letter. Depending on who sent the letter, I forwarded it to the mortgage company, signing company, or title agency.

Reply by Paul_IL on 3/28/05 3:02am
Msg #27969

How could you possibly accept an assignment in another state?

You should have just called the borrower and explained and asked them to meet you at the closest McDonalds in your state. Bet the borrowers would have said no problem.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/28/05 10:19am
Msg #27991

Re: contact across border

It might help in the long run if you can find a signing agent across the border in the other state. Find one who isn't a notary in your state. Refer calls to him/her and get the same in return.

Art

Reply by reciprocity on 3/29/05 6:57pm
Msg #28389

Re: contact across border

someone states have reciprocity with borderting states. Are you sure you cannot sign?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.