Notary Rotary
feeling uneasy at a home signing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Nancy in Florida on 3/11/05 9:33am
Msg #24929

Has anyone ever felt uneasy while conducting a signing in someone's home. I have been doing loan closings for many years but just started out as an SA going into the borrower's homes. So far my experience has been positve with very nice borrowers.

I had one recently that when I called the borrowers regarding the signing location and time I got an uneasy feeling and honestly I was a little afraid to go to their home. The signing was canceled, one of those where the L/O scheduled it but it wasn't clear to close!!

I have heard some horror story of Realtors being the victims of crimes while showing homes to prospective buyers but I always felt comfortable with signing in borrower's homes because the lender had all of the personal information but I was just wondering if anyone else felt uneasy or not and if you had an uneasy feeling prior to going how do you handle it? Can you request to meet in a public location at the borrower's convenience?

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/11/05 9:36am
Msg #24932

take someone with you if you're uneasy. I do if it's late or far

Reply by Lauriec on 3/11/05 9:51am
Msg #24937

I think the worst experience for me feeling uneasy was one I had recently with a couple getting divorced. I had no idea what was about to transpire when I arrived all bubbly and nice. The wife started SCREAMING immediately at the husband b/c she saw that he was getting $$ back on the HUD statement. Since this is the first doc I show, the fighting started early! Here I was sitting at the table while 2 strangers are SCREAMING at each other at the top of their lungs and I am smack dab in the middle of them. I didn't know if I should have told the signing co. about the experience, I just sent the "fax backs" and shipped them off. I often wonder if we could call and ask for extra $$$ for them putting us in these situations without our prior knowledge...

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/11/05 9:59am
Msg #24941

Re: feeling uneasy at a home signing - Lauriec

It is just terrible that you had to go through that. I can't believe that people would actually act that way with someone providing a professional service in their home. I wonder how they would feel if at their place of business something like that happened? It just seems to me that no one should have to put up with that sort of situation and I'm sure you felt like telling them to grow up and then maybe you would come back and get the job done for them!

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 3/11/05 10:15am
Msg #24944

The one time something similar happened to me it involved one step brother and his wife, his full brother and his significant other and a half brother and his wife (who'd just had a baby 3 days before so you know where her hormones were). They all got into such a big argument that I thought we would have to call the police. They carried the argument outside, so I picked up all my papers and walked out to the car. The brother that was doing the refinance to pay off the others came running after me and said "please stay a couple of minutes more". He then went over to his siblings and said "Dorothy is leaving and if you want your money I suggest we stop arguing and go in and sign or else it will be several more days before we can sign". And they did. I learned a very important lesson from that that helped on a later signing where a mother and her son were fighting. I called SS from the table and he could hear them arguing in the background. He said it was my call and I would get paid either way. Again I picked up my papers and walked out the door.

Thank heavens, most of the signings people are very gracious and friendly.

Reply by sue on 3/11/05 11:32am
Msg #24959

I would have put a stop to that immediately. You tell the borrowers they can fight but not in your presence and not on your time. Basically you're going to become mean - you tell them to sit, sign, be quiet or you're leaving and if they don't do their part you leave. I've never had to leave but I've told them that on the phone when one indicates the other may cause a problem.

Reply by CaliNotary on 3/11/05 12:39pm
Msg #24978

This type of stuff is just part of the deal we accepted when we went into this line of work. Most people are perfectly nice, but there are always gonna be a few exceptions. We don't deserve extra money just because somebody yelled in front of us.

Is there a career field where you DON'T have to occasionally deal with an irate client or customer?

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/11/05 1:05pm
Msg #24984

CaliNotary says: "This type of stuff is just part of the deal we accepted when we went into this line of work." Sorry, but I didn't sign on to have a full out brawl take place in front of me while conducting a professional service, and no one should no matter what profession that one is in. Dealing with an irate client now and then is one thing, but no one should have to put up with a fight between parties - no one-.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/11/05 9:59am
Msg #24942

Take 2 friends with you - Smith & Wesson

Art

Reply by Stephen/VA on 3/11/05 10:35am
Msg #24948

My sentiments exactly

Reply by That' a good one-Art! on 3/11/05 10:49am
Msg #24949

Re: feeling uneasy at a home signing

Reply by Jayme in PA on 3/11/05 9:56am
Msg #24940

I am always concerned about my safety, especially at night.

I have a routine that I use when I have appointments at night. I let a copy of the appointment details at my home with my family. I let them know how long I think the appointment should take. I call my home when I arrive at the borrower's address (from my car) and I let my family know that I am okay. As I meet with the borrowers, I let them know that I will receive a call from my family at some point during our signing, as they love me and are concerned about my safety traveling at night.......The borrowers have always understood and will comment that they would do the same!!! Some even say "it is so nice to be loved....I agree."
I know that some signing agencies request that you turn off your cell phone during a signing, but personal safety always comes first!

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/11/05 12:01pm
Msg #24970

Some SS's specifically say you can't change the location of the signing. Other's don't care where the signing takes place as long as all docs are signed/initialed/notarized properly and returned in a timely manner.

All my signings have been in Borrowers homes or places of business except for one. For that particular one, when I made my initial call to introduce myself, etc., the Borrowers told me they did not want me in their home and that they would come to mine. If they didn't want me in their home, I didn't want them in mine. We agreed to do the signing at a restaurant, half way between each of us. I told the SS and they didn't have a problem.

When I go on a signing, I let my family or neighbors know the borrowers names, address and their phone number and give them a ballpark time the signing should take. Once the signing is finished, I call to say I'm finished. If I haven't called, they call my cell. They've only had to call me once because the signing was taking longer than I expected.

I don't take my purse with me into the signing. I take my briefcase inside and leave it open on the table so my pepper spray can be seen. I clip my cell onto a pocket or my waistband. I leave my car keys in my lap. Upon entering the house and sitting down for the signing, I make note of where the exits are.

Reply by lee/OR on 3/11/05 1:39pm
Msg #24995

Damn...you need to work for the CIA or someplace!

Reply by Lauriec on 3/11/05 1:45pm
Msg #24997

I've done several signings at McDonald's and two at Arby's when borrower's didn't want me to go to their homes. I have had two in my home as well, one because the borrower's in-laws were staying with her and she didn't want them to know about her" business". Smiley

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/11/05 6:02pm
Msg #25029

Actually, it was quite hard to get into the habit of being so cautious when doing signings. I honestly believe I am in more danger when working in the offices of my family law attorneys.

Reply by Ted_MI on 3/11/05 7:18pm
Msg #25036

Carolyn,

I can't speak for other states nor as to the danger aspect but at least in Michigan family law attorneys have "war" stories you just would not believe!!

Reply by Anonymous on 3/11/05 8:05pm
Msg #25044

I, too, have had that feeling a few times. Especially if it is not in a good area. Usually I will leave the borrower's name, address, and phone number with someone at home so that they know where I am. Also, my husband will call on my cell to make sure that everything is OK. I have to say, though, that there have never been any problems.

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/11/05 9:12pm
Msg #25053

Yes, family law is pretty frightening. Most of my clients have silent alarms in their offices that go directly to the police. Fortunately, I've only witnessed two incidents where I wasn't sure that there would not be someone killed or severely hurt.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.