Notary Rotary
helpful theft identity tips - FWIW
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 3/14/05 9:48am
Msg #25340

ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice!

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign
your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone.
If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks.
You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a hotocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all :
(I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the 3 National Credit Reporting Organizations immediately to
place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never
heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an
application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert
means any company that checks your credit knows your information was
stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft,
all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away This weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet,
etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Reply by DellaCa on 3/14/05 9:55am
Msg #25342

Great advice Charm, I put the alert on mine last summer when the computors where I gave blood was stolen. I felt better after I did .
Thanks fro sharing.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/14/05 10:18am
Msg #25347

Good advice.

However, Item #2 "Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED" is not acceptable by US government standards. Sign the back of the card and then print the PHOTO ID REQUIRED over the top half of the signature. (It has been recommended to use a blue ball point to sign the card and RED Sharpie pen to print the notice.)

The signature is to be used as a comparison on the register receipt. If it's not there, and someone made a phony picture ID, then you're SOL.

The USPS will not accept credit cards unless they are signed. Many retail outlets and airlines will not accept credit cards unless they are signed.

Reply by Charm_AL on 3/14/05 10:31am
Msg #25349

good catch PAW !....n/m

Reply by Slarty_FL on 3/14/05 12:21pm
Msg #25361

I sign mine for that reason, and THEN write "SEE ID" next to my signature. Some folks ask, most don't.

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/14/05 2:15pm
Msg #25385

Couple years ago 60 Minutes or some such had a show where they sent various people out to buy things using other people's PHOTO

Reply by Lee/AR on 3/14/05 2:21pm
Msg #25386

Fingers faster than brain today. Sorry... complete post now

60 Minutes had a show where they sent people out with other people's PHOTO ID Credit Cards... the most extreme case being a 19-20 year old Oriental guy with a 62 yr. old man's ID (he was not Oriental). Nobody looked at the photo ID anyway--all accepted the credit card offered. Now, doesn't that make you feel really good about all the systems we have in place to prevent ID fraud? Me, neither. Take heed of Charm & PAW's suggestions and DO IT NOW!

Reply by Debbietax_CA on 3/14/05 12:47pm
Msg #25367

These are great tips! Another one that many people do not realize, is when you are getting rid of all that mail and other paperwork that contains your personal info, you should also be shredding return envelopes and catalog pages that have a customer number or customer barcode on them. This info can also be used by identity thieves to access personal info or open an account in your name.

Reply by Melody on 3/14/05 11:12am
Msg #25353

Great post! Thanks! n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/14/05 11:43am
Msg #25357

Thanks, Charm and Paul! n/m

Reply by jj/ca on 3/14/05 5:11pm
Msg #25412

Re: very good advice

Thanks to all for your great suggestions. I love this forum. Where else can we all help each other without being charged for it. Another tip is when you present your credit card for payment ask the clerk if they read the back that said for them to ask for your id. I think that will make them look a little closer at the next person.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.