Notary Rotary
notary seal
Notary Discussion History

notary seal
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Mike on 3/21/05 2:38pm
Msg #26696

notary seal

Is your notary seal required in Virginia when notarizing the mortgage?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/21/05 3:01pm
Msg #26704

If you are a notary, please study your state's notary manual until you know it backwards and forewards. Then come back here and read all the posts, from the very first to the most recent. If you have a specific question, use the "Search" button before asking it anew.

If you are not a notary, then all I can tell you is that each state's laws differ. In some states, it is the notary's signature and commission expiration date that are all that is needed. Other state may require an official seal.

Good luck.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 3/21/05 4:21pm
Msg #26744

Ernest, this is not really just a question of the notary handbook. In Virginia, the seal is not required for the notarization to be valid. However, in practice I just affix my seal to everything I intend to notarize. It seems that many other people do not know Virginia's laws therefore they freak out when they do not see a seal. If you are notarizing a document intended to be recorded outside of Virginia, then the seal may be required also. From what I've learned, there is no harm in stamping a document if it has been notarized, so I just stamp all notarizations.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/21/05 5:30pm
Msg #26755

Stephen, you and I agree, mostly. Many people feel that it is the embossed seal that means the document has been notarized. There are (at least) several states that do not require the notary to have a seal. Because it makes people happier to see the embossed seal on their document(s), as long as there is room I will put it on. That having been said, however, if there is not enough room for the embossing to NOT cover a signature, date, etc., then I do not emboss.

As long as an act is LEGAL, I go with the signer's comfort.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/21/05 5:34pm
Msg #26756

Oh, oh. I can hear it starting already!

The only thing the last sentence in my pervious post has to do with is embossing the seal onto / into the document(s)! Please don't start. (sigh)

Reply by Stephen_VA on 3/21/05 6:21pm
Msg #26770

Re: Oh, oh. I can hear it starting already!

lol

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.