Notary Discussion History

notary signing
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 3/30/05 7:47pm
Msg #28691

notary signing

I am a new notary and a friend called and needs her signature
notarized on a apartment agreement stating it is her. I am not
sure what wording to use. I live in ca. Thank you.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/30/05 8:16pm
Msg #28693

You cannot decide. The author, custodian or document owner must TELL you what form of certificate is needed. For you to make the decision is UPL.

Reply by Joseph_CA on 3/30/05 8:51pm
Msg #28699

UPL=Unauthorized Practice of Law ?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/30/05 8:58pm
Msg #28700

Right! (n/m)

Smiley

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/30/05 9:34pm
Msg #28708

You would take an acknowledgment of the apartment agreement. OR if California laws allow a notary public to just 'witness signatures' like in MA, then you should just do that.

The wording should be similar to this:

State of California

_____________, ss

On this ____ day of _______________________ 20___, before me, the undersigned authority, personally appeared ________(Your friend's name here)_____________, proved to me through evidence of identification, which were ____(Personal Knowledge)__________, to be the person whose name is signed on the attached document, and acknowledged to me that (he) (she) signed it voluntarily for its stated purpose.

======
Korey

Reply by Jon on 3/30/05 10:38pm
Msg #28733

FYI for everyone, the sample that Korey gave is not acceptable for Ca. It would be acceptable in most states, but Ca has very specific wording for an ack and also for a jurat.

For the correct wording, check your CA notary Handbook.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/30/05 10:57pm
Msg #28738

I agree... thats why I said "should be similar to..." n/m

Reply by Anonymous on 3/31/05 8:05am
Msg #28783

Re: should be similar to is not the same as unacceptable.n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 3/30/05 10:21pm
Msg #28727

Does the agreement have notarial wording on it (usually at the end). If not, then you need to show your friend and Acknowledgement and a Jurat, describe each one to her and let her decide. If she does not know, then the person who receives the agreement in the end will need to tell you or her what form and wording to use.

Reply by ColleenCA on 3/31/05 8:51am
Msg #28795

That's exactly right BarbaraL. I have had many documents notarized in my lifetime that the notorial wording is at the end of the document, or the person requesting the document has provided whatever instructions are needed. I guess the point is, as a notary never guess yourself. We must always be instructed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.