Notary Rotary
tipsy signer - refuse to notarize
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 3/22/05 9:27am
Msg #26898

Anyone ever refuse to notarize a doc or do a closing because the borrower was drunk?
Came close to doing that last week.. I decided that the borrower was not drunk, just "feeling good" and met the requirement of being a "competent" person able to understand the document he was signing.

Art

Reply by CarolynCO on 3/22/05 10:16am
Msg #26925

I did a signing at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I could smell some sort of liquor on the woman's breath. However, she had just gotten home from work and I believe she was competent and understood the docs -- maybe a couple of hours later, I would not have felt the same way.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/22/05 11:00am
Msg #26939

Yup... just yesterday...

A homeless gentlemen who I know from prior dealings approached me and asked if I worked with the police (him knowing what I do for work and all). I told him I don't work directly with them providing they don't cut me a paycheck once a week. However I have done services for them, mainly the detective and chief.

With that said he asked me if I could send them an affidavit stating certain crimial on-goings in my little town. I told him that I can place him under oath and bear witness to his affidavit which would stand up at the Police station.

It dawned on me........ I smell liquor and it wasn't me ( yet!! Smiley ). So I polietly told him that once you sober up and are of sound mind and body, then I take your affidavit and personally deliever it to the police.

Surprisngly he did find me the next day sitting at my office typing some forms up. He was not under the influence so I took his affidavit and delievered it in hand to the local police. (Affidavit RE: a local company dealing Cocaine and Marijuana out of their business).

===========
Korey

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.