Notary Rotary
to Korey--question
Notary Discussion History

to Korey--question
Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Maureen/nh on 3/25/05 8:38pm
Msg #27719

to Korey--question

Korey, just a qustion on the status of notaries in MA. I thought you were out of business and obviously you aren't. What happened?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/25/05 8:57pm
Msg #27723

Out of business? I'm not sure what you're referring too.

By "you" I'm assuming that you are talking about notaries.

Moreover, I'm going to assume that you're questioning the fact that MA Notaries cannot do loan closings in Massachusetts.

------------------
The new order, Executive Order 455 (04-04), issued in late 2003 clarifies the duties of a notary public. I'm not sure where you think that MA notaries are 'out of business'. The only changes, besides granting more duties/authority, is that it is illegal for an MA notary to do loan closings unless (1) the notary is an attorney or (2) the notary is supervised by an attorney (paralegal).

Most of my services I provide acting in a notary capacity is court services work (issuance of subpoenas/writs etc.). The signing companies just don't send notaries out to do ONLY loan closings. Many times I have gone out to just issue affidavits, acknowledgments of agreements, identity affidavits, etc.

Being that numerous attorneys supervise me they allow me to use their names when and if I get called out to do a signing. (Hence: being supervised by an attorney licensed to practice law).

Just out of curiosity what part of the revised order did you think that MA notaries are out of business?

The Massachusetts notary business is better then ever because (1) the new order clarifies our duties in plain english, and (2) the order bestows upon us more duties as public officers.

Massachusetts is the place to become a Notary... just ask anyone of us!! Smiley

======
Korey

Reply by Stephen_VA on 3/25/05 9:23pm
Msg #27733

That sounds like it is similar to Virginia, where a notary has to be directed by a licensed or certified person. But that direction can come in the form of verbal communication (phone) or written signing instructions.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 3/25/05 9:29pm
Msg #27738

Yeah..... over the phone is acceptable.

You must still do other signing then besides Loan Closings correct?

Reply by maureen/nh on 3/26/05 7:48pm
Msg #27844

I meant out of business as far as independant notary signing agents are concerned. Clearly, from your answer, you do not act in that capacity.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.