Notary Rotary
toner interchange - hp-minolta
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to March, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 3/22/05 9:36am
Msg #26903

Anyone have any feedback on how different toners really are. Can HP toner for one cartidge be used in all HP cartidges?
Can HP toner be used in Minolta cartidges? Xerox cartidges?

TIA

Art

Reply by LawrenceOK on 3/22/05 9:44am
Msg #26911

I would bet not Art. I can use my Brother Toner for some of the other Brother HL models, but only the HL 50 series. and you can probably bet that HP wont be compatable with mine. Of course I could be wrong.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 3/22/05 11:36am
Msg #26961

Not unless you want a big repair bill

Art, one of my former business was the laser printer repair business. Generally each company has their own formula for use is their own machines (as I recall, it's been over 5 years, I think they also varied with models)! I wouldn't chance it. Some of our most lucretive jobs were where people decided that toner was toner! It was a messy job, but VERY PROFITABLE for us!!

Reply by John_NorCal on 3/22/05 1:00pm
Msg #26983

Re: Not unless you want a big repair bill

Hi Dorothy,
I would gather from your message that you would discourage people from refilling their toner cartridges. Is that correct? I've heard some bad stories about doing that, I don't think I would want to take the chance.
Another question, if refilling a cartridge is o.k., would that be better left to an outside source?
Thanks,
Ciao!

Reply by Art_MD on 3/22/05 1:11pm
Msg #26985

I don't think Dorothy was referring to refilling. She was addressing the use of one manufacturers toner in another manufacturers cartridge.
From most posts, mine included, refilled cartridges work fine. It takes <5 minutes to do. The cost of $7 vs $80 is significant. As I refill cartridges, I test them printing out other stuff before I use them on docs.

Art

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 3/22/05 9:45pm
Msg #27131

I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to refill their own toner cartridges, however, I would never do it. If you spill the toner and ruin a good shirt, blouse, skirt or pants anything you've saved goes right out the window. I buy my cartridges from a local recharger (that's the correct term) who doesn't just refil them, but also tests them and replaces any parts that have worn. I still save money and don't have a mess to clean up. One of our local notaries tried refilling her cartridges to save money and spilled toner on her beige carpet!! She was finally able to get it out although there still remained a small stain. Just remember, if you try to refill your cartridges and spill some toner, NEVER USE HOT WATER!! Also when you are vacumning it up the particles are extremely fine and can also ruin your vacumn cleaner. They get into the motor and melt there due to the heat of the motor.

Reply by Joan_OH on 3/22/05 2:38pm
Msg #27014

I have a ricoh color laser. When I inquired about recharging it, my HP guy had me read the formula numbers off the side and said, nope, not available. So, I think specific toners have specific formulas that are machine specific in not brand specific.

Joan-OH

Reply by Nd/WA on 3/22/05 4:18pm
Msg #27035

Agreed...Dorothy

Printer manufacturers make their money on consumables. Using a different toner type can ruin the fuser which is costly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.