Notary Rotary
1ST TIMER
Notary Discussion History

1ST TIMER
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by GINNY VASILOPOULOS on 5/18/05 1:35pm
Msg #38688

1ST TIMER

JUST A LITTLE NERVOUS, DIDN'T KNOW IF ANYONE HAD ANY INFO THAT MAY SMOOTH IT ALONG...

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/18/05 1:38pm
Msg #38692

Have you been reading this board? If so, you've probably already gotten a lot of info that should help you. If not, I'd suggest you start browsing now and don't stop until you leave for your signing; you'll learn a lot more than any bits of advice people may or may not post in this thread.

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/18/05 1:49pm
Msg #38703

Also.....

There's really no reason to create two separate threads 5 minutes apart.

Reply by John Charles Gober on 5/18/05 1:41pm
Msg #38696

If possible review the documents ahead of time and place a tag or special colored paper clip on the documents just to be notarized. And don't be afraid to say ' I really can't give an answer to that, I am only here to act as a witness. you need to call your settlement agent'.

And do not drink three cups of coffee beforehand.

John

Reply by TN Notary on 5/18/05 1:52pm
Msg #38707

But be careful in saying I am here as a witness only some SS forbid using that term. "Just"
a notary or a witness. Read your closing instructions carefully before your appointment and like they said earlier marke ones to be notarized. Go slow. My first one I had the borrowers sign both set of docs and returned both. The funny thing the borrowers didn't even question why they didn't have a copy.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/18/05 2:14pm
Msg #38716

During the confirmation phone call and once at the Borrowers I tell them that I am not an Attorney so I cannot answer any questions. If you have any questions, you can call your Lender. The Borrowers seem to be okay with that.

Reply by oldhippie on 5/18/05 3:33pm
Msg #38765

I have a question. I have been doing this for about 6 months now. How do you get through a closing in a ambel amount of time. I only do this part time, but I can only do 1 closing a night because it seems that it takes a long time. Say for instance a Heloc, may take me 30 minutes, refi- could take an hour or more. I have one couple 1st and 2nd mort. took 4 hours because I couldn't answer for them, so they kepted calling the lender.

Reply by Roger_OH on 5/19/05 12:36am
Msg #38935

Steph...

I think your statement may be a bit too rigid, as you CAN answer some questions under your Signing Agent hat, such as general descriptions of docs, what an APR is, how the RTC works, etc. You don't need to say you're not an attorney. You can say you are the Notary Signing Agent, and as you were not involved in the preparation of their loan package, any questions specific to their numbers need to be referred to their loan officers. If an RTC is involved, they have 3 days to do that. As an NSA, your major role is to confirm ID compliance with your state requirements, ensure they sign correctly and in the proper places, notarize where necessary, and return the documents.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/19/05 2:18pm
Msg #39040

Re: Steph...

If a Borrower asks a question regarding something general...for example how much is my...whatever, I will direct them to the document that will answer their question,
I say read this document & you will most likely find your answer.

I frequently direct them to a doc that will answer their questions; however, it can be touchy if I get to involved with responding to questions, so I keep it simple.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.