Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Always confirm with the borrowers! And here's why...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Cherilyn in CO on 5/27/05 10:30am
Msg #40774

I get a call 8am to do a 9am edoc signing the other morning. I get the docs and get the confirmation, but the phone number for the borrower is disconnected. It's about 9am now (the docs arrived a little late). The SS is trying to rush me out the door stating the title company says the appointment is firm and go, go, go! I say "Nope, not until I confirm with the borrower."

Finally, I get a cell phone number. Someone has transposed the borrower's home phone number (even in the loan docs). I call the borrower and lo and behold, he's at a totally different address than the one on the confirmation-not even close.

So, if I would have listened to the SS, I would have wasted my time and $.

Always confirm with the borrowers. My specific policy is that I don't walk out the door unless I've talked to them first-period.

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/27/05 10:35am
Msg #40776

Yes, and always call just before leaving for the appt as well. I had one this week that was scheduled for the next day. I called the borrower, and spoke with him direct. He said, yes, he would see me the next day at the agreed upon time. The next day, I called about 20 minutes before the appt. Got through to his cell, and he said, "oh, I cancelled with the lender because I am out of town today, I got my days mixed up". No one bothered to call me and let me know, so it was a good thing that I called.

Reply by calipat/ca on 5/27/05 10:37am
Msg #40779

You are so right. I also had a signing and confimred the address with the borrwer. She said no don't go there that is my rental and she gave me the correct address. When I got there she was upset that they had not told me her correct address. She stated the address on the confirmation and on the docs was her rental she was refinanacing.
So yes always confirm address and time with borrower's no matter what TC or SS say.

Reply by TN Notary on 5/27/05 10:43am
Msg #40782

I agree call before leaving. I had 3 this month that the borrower had cancelled with the Lender. I called as I was heading to the appointment.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/27/05 11:09am
Msg #40790

Thats is so TRUE, I time the LO made the appointment and I called the borrower and reconfirm,
I made the mistake of not calling the borrower just before leaving for the app. I got there after
driving 55 miles on way. The husband was not home, he had to work at the last minute.

I drove again the following day, called just before leaving, in the middle of the road called again.

The loan eventually didnt close, I charge 350.00 for that one and later on the LO called and told me that it didnt close, and ask me for my fee. I told them half of original fee. She was happy, and I was happy.

Later she gave me more business.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/27/05 11:16am
Msg #40795

To TN Notary

Were those assignments e-docs? If so did you invoice them for printing fees? This is one of those things that makes me think. I 'd like to know what everyones experience is with this. On the business end how many of you have had success when invoicing for printing fees on cancelations? Or do we/can we claim lost printing fees due to cancelations on our taxes? How do each of you handle this situation? and is it a common occurance?

Reply by Calnotary on 5/27/05 11:34am
Msg #40799

Re: To TN Notary

You cant claim 25.00 loss in your taxes, what you can do its just claim "supply expenses"
like paper, toner, etc. Also you add all those miles as a deduction also. Your time was the one you cant claim in a cancellation.

this is not tax advise, though

Reply by HDW_TN on 5/27/05 11:33am
Msg #40798

I agree. Had one closing where the spouse (male) listed on the DOT, and other docs, had died 5 months prior and another different closing where a female name was listed on all docs and the borrower (male) had never been married. Saved both closings by calling company they did a redraw on the docs. Got a good "atta boy" letter from the mortgage company. Good reference to have.

Reply by Hank_VA on 5/27/05 3:14pm
Msg #40845

I agree with all the reasons given. In my case I was to close at a hotel. SS called me at 1:pm for a 3:pm closing. No problem, edocs came right over. I called the hotel room and borrower's cell # and didn't get an answer so I left messegers. At 2:30 I called the SS and told them that I had not been able to contact the borrower to confirm the appointment. She stated that the Lender was absolutely sure that the borrower would be there and needed to close that day. I went to the hotel which was only 15 minutes away and needthless to say borrower was no where to be found. After 20 minutes I call the SS and told them I was leaving and would invoice them for the trip and printing cost. They said no problem. This was a lesson learned for me to never go to an appointment without confirmation.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.