Notary Rotary
Authenticate document
Notary Discussion History

Authenticate document
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky on 5/8/05 2:17pm
Msg #36543

Authenticate document

When someone wants you to "authenticate" a document....are they asking you to certify a true copy?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/8/05 3:35pm
Msg #36548

Becky
Notaries do not "authenticate" documents.

I have had people ask me to notarize a document to make it legal - I have to tell them that we notarize signatures not the documents, and if a document is illegal before the notary seal goes on it, it is just as illegal after the seal goes on it, as all we are doing is notarizing the person's signature.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/8/05 3:59pm
Msg #36550

"Authenticate"... Sounds like something to do with a foreign adoption. When I adopted my oldest son from Mexico everything had to be authenticated. The Mexican government thinks notaries are like God or something.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/8/05 4:12pm
Msg #36551

You mean we aren't like Gods? or Goddesses? LOL

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/8/05 4:22pm
Msg #36552

LOL... Ummmmmmmmmmm.... Yeah.... I guess I mean that we're not

Reply by Maureen - MI on 5/8/05 4:26pm
Msg #36554

Authentication ?

I don't know what State you are from so .....

Authentication: Documents sent out of State: Documents notarized in Michigan and sent to other states or nations may be required to bear proof that the Notary's signature and seal are genuine and that the Notary had authority to act at the time of notarization. This process of proving the genuineness of an official signature and seal is called authentication or leagalization. In Michigan, the proof is in the form of an authenticating certificate attached to the notarized document by either the county clerk's office where the Notary has been appointed or the Department of State. (The Certificates have many different names and I won't go into the long list of names).

So what test is this on?

Reply by Becky on 5/8/05 4:40pm
Msg #36558

Re: Authentication ?

I'm in Kansas and no, this is not a test question. I received an email from someone asking me to provide notary service. I replied and gave my fees. Then I get a voicemail from the same person who turned out to be a company wanting me to "authenticate" a document for a doctor in my area. As it is the weekend, I can't get a hold of the person to get any specifics.

Let me see if I understood what you said, first I notarize signature(s) and then get my seal and signature authenticated by the SOS?

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/8/05 4:44pm
Msg #36560

It might be something as simple

as confusining the fact that lawyers 'authenticate' signatures while notaries 'notarize' 'em.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/8/05 4:48pm
Msg #36561

Re: Authentication ?

If a document is going out of the country they may need the notarization authienticating - an apostille, which here in Florida comes from the SOS office, but they are the ones who have to apply for it- and pay the $10 fee.

You need to contact the person and find out what they really need, to determine if it is something in the scope of your notarial duties

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/8/05 7:05pm
Msg #36577

FL notaries, as most if not all other notaries, cannot "authenticate" a document. However, FL notaries, and some others, can "attest to a copy" of a document. That is, they can make (or supervise the making of) a copy of the document, and affix a special certificate attesting to the trueness of photocopies of certain documents.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.