Notary Rotary
CA Notary (Non Loan Signing) Questions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by MaggieMae_CA on 5/23/05 1:21pm
Msg #39689

I work at a University and am listed on the university's website of notaries on campus. I've just gotten calls from grad students... One needs an I-9 form notarized and says the notary is suppose to sign where it says "Employer". I guess I'm suppose to be verifying that I saw the ID she's using.

The other student needs to have a Driver's Test faxed to me and take the test in front of me.

Atypical requests for a typical loan signing agent here. I thought my role as a notary was to notarize their signatures, but with the I-9 form it sounds more like I'm IDing the student's ID and in the case of the driver's test... who knows what I'm doing??? Any suggestions?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/23/05 1:54pm
Msg #39704

Keeping in mind that tou're in CA and I'm in CT: Are you really the I-9 requestor's employer? I'd think not. If you are acting as a notary, that's one thing. If you're actign as the employer, ....

The Driver's Test sends OK, as long as you're not notarizing your own signature. That's a no-no everywhere, as I understand it.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/23/05 2:22pm
Msg #39712

The driving exam gal just came in. That was fine. I just attached a CA acknowlegement to the exam (it was for a traffic ticket) and made a notation on the form to see the loose ack.

Nope... Not I... I'm not employing nobody!

The I-9 form is a horse of a different color. These are for grad students who are applying to a government agencies. The instructions sheet is from the agency stating where the notary should sign. I have an email into the head honcho of notaries at the university inquiring about this one. Waiting for a response.

I know I can't notarize my own signature... Silly willy!... (j/king w/ya!)

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/23/05 2:37pm
Msg #39715

How very strange! I've never run across either situation as a notary. I can tell you as a former employer that I had to sign off on I-9s for every new hire. I can not think of any scenario where the employer gives the I-9 to anyone outside of their company to sign.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 5/23/05 5:31pm
Msg #39818

I do traffic tests alot. They print the test off an online traffic school site. It includes the acknowledgement page also. They need to take the test in front of the notary. Some of the tests do not have a place for the test taker to sign there signature, so I have them sign and date it anyway, then fill out the acknowledgement, stamp it, and they can then fax it back to the traffic school. Easy $10.

As for the I-9, I do not think that a notary is to sign as the employer. Notarial wording needs to be present. You might check with UCSD Human Resources.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.