Calling Ernest
Notary Discussion History

Calling Ernest
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by cmr/nc on 5/5/05 4:39pm
Msg #36089

Calling Ernest

Hi Ernest,
Its me again. I went to the QC signing this morning. I scaned the docs before leaving several times. When I got the the signer, I defidently told her to sign the doc the way it was on typed. She was once married and they were still using her married name, but she showed me ID with her maiden name. On the QC it had her listed as an AKA. Well, now I have to go back. Is this reason to do an acknowledgement? Or should I call her and ask her to bring ID with her maiden name on it? Please advise. Smiley

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/5/05 7:26pm
Msg #36132

You rang?r

If I understand the situation correctly, the Quit Claim Deed had the signer listed as "Mary J. Doe AKA Mary S. Jones", and she had ID that said "Mary S. Jones". If that is the case, she should have signed the document "Mary J. Doe AKA Mary S. Jones", EXACTLY as printed on the Deed, ***including the "AKA"***. In your journal, you should have written her name as it appeared on her ID, and she should have signed your journal with the same name as on her ID (so they'd match exactly).

I carry Name / AKA Affidavits for this kind of event. (They're often included as a matter of course in the loan docs we receive from signing services.) They're not recordable (as the Quit Claim Deed IS), but they help aleviate pain from the signing service and/or lender.

"Sign as printed" is A Good Rule. As long as we do that, the signing services are happy. Usually. The exception is the obvious error, such a typo in the printed name. Then we're expected to fix it. (A reasonable expectation, IMHO).

Reply by cmr/nc on 5/6/05 7:10am
Msg #36198

Re: You rang?r

Thanks again Ernest. Smiley

Reply by cmr/nc on 5/6/05 7:27am
Msg #36206

Re: You rang?r

Reggie as I look at the document even closer this morning it reads f/k/a not AKA. Is that legal?

Reply by Charm_AL on 5/6/05 8:59am
Msg #36221

that's fine, it means 'formerly known as'.....n/m

Reply by cmr/nc on 5/6/05 9:27am
Msg #36226

Thanks Charm

Thanks

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.