Notary Rotary
Car Consignment BOS
Notary Discussion History

Car Consignment BOS
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Nicole_NCali on 5/25/05 12:58pm
Msg #40330

Car Consignment BOS

I have received several emails in regards to notarizing bill of sales from private owners who keep their vehicles on used car lots. Here are the steps that I will layout for you for BOS notarizations or in some areas VIN reports.

Step 1-check your local demographics. In my area, there are several lots that allow private owners to store their vehicles and for a small fee.

Step 2-print out business cards and flyers. You can leave this with the lot manager/owner or you can leave a business card on the individual cars.

Step 3-wait for the calls.

Show up to the signing. I charge $10 for the notarization and $40 travel fee in my local cities. The reason for this is that both the purchaser and the seller need to be present at the time of the transaction. There is normally a title transfer and the on some of the lots, the paperwork for the sale are provided by the lot owner, so there is no need to provide the documents for the seller. (besides this would constitute UPL)

Most of the people selling and purchasing know the drill. As a person who has purchased 2 used vehicles, I am not confused about the transaction. You are only acknowledging the signature so california all purpose acknowledgments are the only forms that I keep with me.

I got this idea from the People's Court, when a man sold a vehicle to a lady, and the Judge asked for the BOS, when the plaintiff who was the lady showed the BOS with the as is warranty which was notarized, the lady claim was dismissed.

Her premise is that she did not read the AS IS Warranty on the BOS, but the judge kept going back to the fact her signature was on the BOS and that it was her by the notarization.

And they say TV isn't educational.

Reply by maryinsocal on 5/25/05 1:11pm
Msg #40333

Thanks Nicole...
I appriciate the clarification.
I am going to start looking around here.
Thanks again

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/25/05 1:12pm
Msg #40335

Thank you for the info. Nichole. Helpful as always!

Reply by CAtitlegal on 5/25/05 1:12pm
Msg #40336

What a very good idea...entrepreneurialism (is that a word?) at it's best.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/25/05 1:49pm
Msg #40351

Great info Nicole. Thank You.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.