Notary Rotary
Cell Phone Tip...
Notary Discussion History

Cell Phone Tip...
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 5/10/05 10:11am
Msg #36887

Cell Phone Tip...

I just ordered a new cell phone and this time I got a speaker phone.

(No camera though...which made it a lot cheaper..$49 with my annual deal to be able to exchange phones...no contract required - T-Mobile.)

The reason I decided a speaker phone would be worthwhile is because more than once a bwr has asked me to call an LO and put them on speaker through their home phone.

Also...I have been in a closing where a bwr patched in another significant party and had the LO on the phone at the same time.

I personally do NOT like speaker phones...however, there are times when it hastens a signing.

Reply by sue on 5/10/05 10:17am
Msg #36890

I never allow a borrower to use my cell phone. I've got a plan with a lot of minutes but it's theprinciple of the matter - their loan, they can pay for the phone call. Also, if a borrower is on the phone w/their LO I have absolutely no hesitation answering my phone if it rings (I set it on low & 1 ring when I go in with someone)

Reply by Charm_AL on 5/10/05 10:19am
Msg #36891

good advice Brenda. I have the borrowers use their phone to contact the L.O. if they must speak to them right then. Never had a problem, although it's only happened three times.
Law of averages? Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/10/05 10:38am
Msg #36894

It's just easier for me if I dial the number myself, use my phone, and don't have to maneuver around for the phone that is not be cordless.

I have 4500 anytime minutes per month--that's over 100 minutes per day. I never have had a problem with overages except once...when my family recently had a lot of constant communication on two separate problems I went over by 300 minutes. Now, I watch it closely and check my minutes reguarly.

I don't even have a landline in my house any more. I pay $59 monthly to TMobile for 3000 anytime minutes/500 weekend minutes to Texas and any state that touches it. I have another plan for Sprint for 1000 anytime min / free weekends and nights to anywhere in the US / no roaming charges for $89 per month.

I also have two cell phones for another purpose. I cover so much rural area that I found my TMobile was not cutting it for some places--no coverage. Sprint covers 90% of what it does not and vice versa. The blank spots are now just a matter of yards for me.

$160 per month.

Reply by Julie-MI on 5/10/05 12:18pm
Msg #36924

I thought I was bad just upping to 1500 minutes. I only have 33 more minutes until 5/12. I have to show your 4500 post to my husband--Brenda, you just got me exonerated!

I'm with Sue, I let them use their phone.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/10/05 1:22pm
Msg #36942

But...remember...I don't have a phone in the house. I am strictly on cell phones and cable internet access.

Reply by Melody on 5/10/05 2:21pm
Msg #36962

I do the same

Yep, love my speaker phone.

One of the reasons I want to put the speaker on is because I want all of us to be able to hear what the loan officer says. I always tell the LO that we are on speaker phone at the beginning of the call.

One time, the LO forgot about the speaker phone and tried to get me to muscle the borrowers into signing. Boy, were the borrowers mad to hear that!

The loan was a lousy deal so I didn't mind that it failed. I only got a trip fee but that was OK. I hate being a party to predatory loans. The papers give me coodies.

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/10/05 8:02pm
Msg #37035

Spelling Police !

"Coodies" is spelled "Cooties" in Texas, missy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.