Notary Rotary
Cleaning the Jurat Stamp
Notary Discussion History

Cleaning the Jurat Stamp
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Elizabeth_CA on 5/15/05 12:39pm
Msg #37937

Cleaning the Jurat Stamp

Any suggestions on how to remove hair-like lines (from paper threads?) in the jurat stamp. I purchased the jurat stamp from Notary Rotary and love it. But there are spots and hairlike lines on the stamp. I tried blowing it but it didn't work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reply by Harry [NR] on 5/15/05 1:26pm
Msg #37944

Elizabeth -

We have a handful of Ultimark stamps we use in-house quite a bit. After stamping several thousand pieces of paper, they tend to accumulate miscellaneous debris/fibers, which causes the impression to become fuzzy. We clean our stamps a couple ways. First, we'll press the sticky side of a Post-It to the bottom of the stamp and then pull it away it to gently remove debris. You probably don't want to use anything stronger, like Scotch tape, because that might damage the stamp. Next, starting with a clean piece of paper, we stamp firmly and repeatedly down the paper to remove any residual ink from the surface of the stamp.

That generally takes care of it. In severe cases - stamps we've made around 10,000 impressions with on cheap copy paper - we've actually resorted to blotting the bottom of the stamp with a paper towel lightly sprayed with Simple Green to clean away excess ink and fibers.

Outside of these observations, bear in mind that:

1) These stamps perform best on smooth laser paper,
2) Since the bottom of the stamp is flat, you will obviously need a flat surface for a uniform impression,
3) The paper should be clean, as is the case with all stamps, and
4) A relatively quick, firm impression works best with Ultimarks. The longer you hold down the stamp, the more ink it will release, which is usually bad.

I hope this helps.

Harry
Notary Rotary, Inc.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/15/05 2:54pm
Msg #37962

I have never had problems with notary stamp. I only use smooth paper which could help keep it clear of debris.

Reply by Elizabeth_CA on 11/9/05 5:04pm
Msg #75498

I get my paper from Costco. Is that not smooth laser paper? If not, where do I find smooth laser paper? Thanks.

Reply by Elizabeth_CA on 11/9/05 5:01pm
Msg #75497

Thanks Harry. I will try your suggestions.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.