Notary Rotary
Dogmonger now what?
Notary Discussion History

Dogmonger now what?
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by CindyinCA on 5/9/05 5:53pm
Msg #36732

Dogmonger now what?

After all that talk earlier today and after purusing all the docs and feeling confident, I call to confirm the appointment and find out the borrowers are spanish-speaking. I don't speak spanish. Called Stompen Stampers and received an answering machine, which I left a message about the problem. What else should I do? They are out of Texas so there is a time difference obviously. The signing was scheduled for 7:00. Help!!

Reply by Sarah on 5/9/05 6:15pm
Msg #36735

I'm not Dogmonger but sometimes in this business, we have to make our own reasonable decisions if we can't contact SS for direction. In your case, I would kindly tell the borrowers that you won't be able to meet with them and then contact the SS just as soon as you can tomorrow and explain the situation. If the dox have to be redrawn, so be it. Someone in the processing line should have made it clear the borrowers needed a Spanish speaking notary. Sounds to me like you've done everything you can.

Reply by CindyinCA on 5/9/05 6:22pm
Msg #36736

Re: Thanks Sarah

Thanks Sarah for the advice. I'll do just that. I'm so glad there are wonderful people out there like you that help us newbies.

Reply by Sarah on 5/9/05 6:26pm
Msg #36740

Glad to be of assistance! Good luck to you and the SS will understand. Don't worry about it.

Reply by SSNOTARY on 5/9/05 6:35pm
Msg #36742

Sarah perhaps one of them speak english, I work for a school district and when I attend an IEP with spanish speaking parents, either the student/ child speaks english can you check, maybe there is one person who does speak english. Just a thought!

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/9/05 6:38pm
Msg #36743

SSNotary...

I started to jump on here and say "yeah...maybe that!" But, I just had a long talk with a former CA NSA now in Texas and she told me (or, at least I think she did) that you can't do this in CA.

Signer's gotta speak the same language as the notary in Ca...right?

(Remember, I am from Texas, and most probably a bs-ing liar...so, don't take anything I say for certain.)

Reply by Katie/CA on 5/9/05 6:48pm
Msg #36744

Re: SSNotary...

CA does not allow someone to interrupt for the borrower. The notary must be able to converse with the borrower. I turned one down for tomorrow in Bakersfield also, same thing.

Reply by SSNOTARY on 5/9/05 6:51pm
Msg #36746

Thanks Katie, didn't know, haven't had the situation yet. But thought I read somewhere something different. Thanks!

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/9/05 6:57pm
Msg #36748

And, if you think about it...it makes sense, since one spouse might be relaying the information in a whole different way than it was spoken.

In Texas, you can have an interpreter - I called the SOS on this one.

I have enough understanding of Spanish to be able to tell what the conversation is...speak little...need to practice. It always surprises the Bwrs when I understand what they are saying and indicate by flipping to a page or responding in some other way that makes them understand I know the conversation.

Reply by Katie/CA on 5/9/05 7:29pm
Msg #36754

You can find it in the CA notary Handbook under Important Issues and Information
under the Miscelaneous Provisions the last bullet. It spells it out pretty well.

Reply by FROM SSNOTARY on 5/9/05 6:49pm
Msg #36745

I don't think this is true but not an expert on the subject.

Reply by DellaCa on 5/9/05 8:51pm
Msg #36773

True No interrupter's in Ca

Reply by JanetK/CA on 5/9/05 8:57pm
Msg #36775

...and no interpreters, either. (Sorry... ;>) I couldn't help myself!)

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/9/05 11:14pm
Msg #36805

It's your job to be an expert on the subject. Hopefully this will make you realize you really need to bone up on CA notary law.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.