Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Don't open any attachments ending with .zip !!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Melody on 5/2/05 9:06pm
Msg #35438

I've received over 25 emails just TODAY with attachments ending in .zip today.

.zip refers to a compressed file, usually an application (aka software program).

Most emails had a subject line about confirming my registration. These are well done. Most virus email messages have terrible English or cute wording. (For example: I have never experienced a title company writing "Hi!" in the subject line.)

Several emails were from addresses I recognize including NotaryPro and the NNA.

If you think the email might be real, hit reply and ask the sender if they really sent an attachment to you today. Make certain not to include the attachment in the reply email.

There is a big bad virus going around. It looks like it has gotten into the notary contact information databases.

Bummer for us!

Reply by mmb-fl on 5/2/05 9:43pm
Msg #35446

I recieved a ton of them today also ... every time i checked my email i had between 1-5 waiting for me ..

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/2/05 9:52pm
Msg #35449

I have received at least 25 myself, luckily my virus protection has caught them.

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/2/05 9:54pm
Msg #35451

I was wondering about that today. I received alot of the same and just deleated them all. You can never be too careful!

Reply by Laura_NH on 5/2/05 10:16pm
Msg #35458

i received a bunch in my yahoo email. i didnt open them...but i got 47 of them. ended up in my bulk email. i deleted them. this is not good. thanks for the confirmation that it wasnt my computer, or my virus scan not working. i do appreciate it! good luck. laura

Reply by Virginia on 5/3/05 8:56am
Msg #35488

I think I may be partially bit by the virus that someone has been sending to notaries. My computer is still up and running because of my Norton Antivirus...but when I re-start my computer it refers to the C:\hellmsn.exe file. I deleted the email but it must be somewhere on my system. Does anyone know how can I locate it and get rid of it?

I heard that someone got into the NNA database. This is really bad for us.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/3/05 9:07am
Msg #35489

This is not good

You can read about this worm here.
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MYTOB.BM&VSect=T

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/3/05 10:29am
Msg #35502

Getting rid of the hellmsn.exe file

First, check on the updates for Norton Anti-Virus via their tools.

Second, use your Norton Anti-Virus to do a complete system scan. It should find the file(s) and either delete or quarantine it / them.

Good luck!

Reply by Virginia-THANKS! on 5/3/05 1:27pm
Msg #35554

Re: Getting rid of the hellmsn.exe file

Reply by Cyndi_AL on 5/3/05 12:48pm
Msg #35533

Oh my goodness! I have received TONS of them. The delete key is my very best friend.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/3/05 1:03pm
Msg #35538

They are using names of actual TC's and SS's

I've had them "coming from" Mortgage Information Services, Nations Direct and many others. Some of them have valid links to their websites. We all know they are not really coming from them. How do we know the NNA data base was broken into? Was there a message stating that?

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/3/05 1:14pm
Msg #35545

Re: Those that I am receiving are using our service provider

as their address. It's terrible that they are using TC's and SS's.

Reply by Victoria/FL on 5/3/05 3:14pm
Msg #35590

I'm getting them, too,

but not from any known addresses. And it's being sent to an old email address that I first started using when I became a NSA.

Reply by WINotaryGal on 5/3/05 5:04pm
Msg #35618

Re: I'm getting them, too,

The bug is trying to bite here too. The bogus messages began yesterday and are still coming. McAfee and Road Runner are stopping them from infecting my pc. When do the attempts to infiltrate stop?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.