Notary Rotary
Drive by Property Inspections
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Robert/NorCal on 5/19/05 2:56pm
Msg #39053

How many notaries here supplement their Notary income by doing drive by property inspections? Recently I started doing these inspections and have already done 58 for the month. How many do you normally do per month? I've been getting paid $15-25 per, with $35 being the highest for a 4 hour turnaround. Is that within the range that you are getting paid? How many companies have you signed up with?

Reply by Dellaca on 5/19/05 3:43pm
Msg #39060

I have done a few but for the distance they want me to go it isn't worth it for me,maybe you are in a better area.I am in n ca also where are you if you don't mind sharing?

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/19/05 4:01pm
Msg #39065

Re: Robert, would you please email me at:

[e-mail address]. I have a question to ask you. Thanks!!!

Reply by Robert/NorCa on 5/19/05 4:06pm
Msg #39067

Re: Robert, would you please email me at:

Hi Colleen, I sent you an email as requested.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 5/19/05 7:19pm
Msg #39117

Hi Robert,
I am taking a Home Inspection course next month and was wondering whether you took a course, whether you were familiar with construction, etc. and when you got started (if you didn't take the course), what your first step was with the first person/company to contact you (how were you contacted or had you signed up first.

I was going to sign up with Sofi-USA ($299) but decided to wait. I was afraid if I was contacted for work that I would not be able to do it, nor price it for that matter. Margaret on this board had given me tips, but I haven't asked her about pricing because she is here in Florida and she may not want to provide this info. I received a call once (in response to joinging the Yahoo group for inspectors, and they said they would pay $15. However, they also would make you knock on doors, because this was for mobile home COLLECTIONS!!!

I think I did a search on the internet and didn't find many companies that listed Home Inspections, but my memory could be failing me, since it was a while ago, or I just put in the wrong words.

Anyway, if you can answer here, great. If not, would you follow my link and just email me?

Thanks,
Mysti

Reply by Nancy in Florida on 5/19/05 8:17pm
Msg #39128

I am interested in finding out information on this as well. I tried to do a google search but it seems you do need to have some type of training. I have many years of experience in all facets of real estate. I have no idea the money that is involved either.

Also to Mystie, there is a difference between a Home Inspector and a Property Inspector. A Home Inspector is the person that a prospective home buyer would hire to inspect the entire structure of a home. Electrical, pumping, look for cracks in the foundations, termite investation anything that a prospective buyer should know prior to buying a home to be sure the investment is sound. This takes years of experience and training and also requires crawling through attics and crawl spaces of a home. No thank, not me.

What we are looking at is Property Inspector that a Lender might hire to do drive by of the home for a varity of different reasons, insurance money used for claimed repairs or improvements, forclosure reasons as to condition of outward appearance of the house, etc.

I only found this by doing my google search but I am very interest in supplementing my notary business with Property Inspections as well.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/19/05 8:31pm
Msg #39136

IS the money really worth the time????

I have been contacted by several companies about doing these inspections.One called me today and asked if I would drive 42 miles one way and take pictures of a house and do a report on this house for $16.00. Is this the normal price for this???? It would cost me like $10.00 in gas..I just felt that this was not worth my time...Any comments or ideas would be very appreciated..Jimmy/FL

Reply by Anonymous on 5/19/05 8:35pm
Msg #39138

Re: IS the money really worth the time????

Wow if that is all they pay them it is not worth it....

Reply by Anonymous on 5/19/05 8:39pm
Msg #39139

I was just wondering if some pay more than the one that called me..It just did'nt seem like it was worth it.Jimmy/FL

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 5/19/05 9:00pm
Msg #39148

I think it is the volume that you are doing. You may do about 35 to 40 a week. Just look at the OP. He has done 58 so far for the month of may. If you multiply that by the average price of $25 per drive by, you are looking at about $1450 ( I did an average of $15, 25, 35) extra and according to the message boards and Margaret/Fl posts, the money is deposited immediately. It could be a way of supplementing your income as a SA. There is also a pick and choose of assignments if your join sofi. I signed up for the forum and I get about 20 emails/day for fieldreps

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/19/05 9:32pm
Msg #39157

I like inspections because:

I do inspections of large apartment complexes and storage units...65.00 and 1 hour if I prepare the manager ahead.

I like inspections because:

Sometimes we ride in a golf cart and the driver lets me hold the "radio."

People actually decorate the inside of storage units with elaborate paint schemes...who'd a thought it.

It is fun to see college students stumble to the door because they forgot I was coming.

It is like going on a tour of homes in some because some of the students have a real knack for decorating with nothing...or a rich daddy and very lavish furnishings...sometimes there are unique items like a hose running from the top floor to the bottom to funnel out beer...or you might see a stack of beer cans 7 feet tall. And, you might see something and say: "I don't know what that is, but would you please take my picture with it?"

The apartment managers are sometimes very out of shape folks who cannot sprint the stairs because they don't do it as much as I do, so I feel young and fast. Some days I climb as many as 25 flights and if I do, it helps me stay healthier.

Sometimes the maintenance men show me what I need to see and I have learned a truism:

Ten sorry maintenance men cannot half-way maintain a 500 unit property...Two GOOD maintenance men can keep 850 units and 11 acres looking pristine and take great pride in their work.

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/19/05 9:01pm
Msg #39149

Jimmy...if you will put "Jimmy/FL" in your "handle" it would

probably help get more answers for you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.