Notary Rotary
Green as grass !
Notary Discussion History

Green as grass !
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Bobb on 5/20/05 12:00am
Msg #39178

Green as grass !

In January I took the Notary and Loan Signing classes. I just recently recieved my commission and today I finally got sworn in. Since it has been several months from then to now, I have forgotten many of the rules and laws. I have the books to help, but from reading many of threads, there is a lot that I need to learn that the books just don't cover. I am striving to be the best that can for myself and the good of the profession and am asking - Does any one know of any notary groups that meet weekly, biweekly or monthly in the So. Cal. area? Reading all the different threads on this website helps, but I know that not all applies to my state. Thanx

Reply by Melody on 5/20/05 12:22am
Msg #39184

Intelligent questions. Good for you!

Good for you for admitting that you need to solidify your general notary skills. You are absolutely right - you need to study, study, study until you thoroughly understand your state's rules.

Please repost your message and list your state in your message board handle. Most of us post our names as NameState, such as BrendaTX. I post as Melody. But if I ask a state-specific question, I post as Melody/WA.

For help in what it takes to become a notary loan signing agent, read message number 33325. Take a look at all the documents listed at the end so you understand the notary's role.

I used to be in California. California is so saturated with notary loan signing agents that all the notaries wear swimming caps. If you want to do non-loan work, there are many opportunities, such as hospital and DMV work.

Read all the posts on this board. Yes, there are 30K of them. But you will get a heck of an education if you read them. If you post a super-basic question, you will be flamed royally. Reading past posts will save you that experience.

Know your Calif regulations cold, read the message boards, and ask us everything!

Good luck!

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/20/05 1:20pm
Msg #39324

Hi Bobb:

I am in Northern California; although California is saturated with Loan Signing Agents, I do get many calls on a regular basis, so do not be discouraged.

If you have an opportunity to complete basic notarizations - this will be a good start. In order to be the best that you can be, you need to know how to properly notarize a document.
This can be learned through experience.
If you have your California notary Law book that you received before obtaining your Notary commission, study the booklet for starters. If you do not have a situation whereby you be presented with documents to notarize, go to different businesses offering notary services. Let them know that if their regular Notary Public is not available, you would be happy to help them out. If you have a business card leave one with them.
Do this with as many businesses as you can. Mail Boxes, etc., Kinkos, UPS Stores, etc.
This would be a great start.
A Signing Agent is a notary FIRST a Signing Agent second.
So, focus of notarizing as many basic documents as possible.

I hope something I suggested helps out.
You see, you can read or meet other Notaries Public; however, until you start notarizing documents -I can't impress the importance of the act of notarizing documents.

Stephanie
sorry for any typos

Reply by Bobb on 5/22/05 12:39am
Msg #39569

Yes, Thank you both - Melody and Stephanie. Your imput and advice are greatly appriciated.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.