Notary Rotary
Green cards are no longer allowed as ID for INS documents
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by ERNA_CA on 5/27/05 12:50pm
Msg #40822

Not listed as acceptable form of ID any longer. I had not seen anything posted on SOS site as to a change in the law. But sure enough the 2005 handbook dose not list Green Cards. I missed it, and I am a stickler for reading everything. Oh my dose that mean I am getting old? Smiley

Reply by JohCal on 5/27/05 1:31pm
Msg #40827

Re: Green cards are no longer allowed as ID for INS document

To answer your question in the previous post-- the instructor said that "Green cards were no longer acceptable ID's even with INS Docs" and had us cross that out in our student handbook. She didn't refer to any specific codes.

I'm glad you checked it out in the 2005 CA handbook yourself. I was starting to think I must have missed something.

Reply by jerrytuttle on 5/27/05 1:45pm
Msg #40831

>>the instructor said that "Green cards were no longer acceptable ID's even with INS Docs

I assume that is a state specific statement, right?

I do not see in the NY or NJ law any mention of this.

Thank you,
Jerry Tuttle
www.SoOrangeNotary.com

Reply by JohCal on 5/27/05 1:50pm
Msg #40833

Yes. We are talking about California and the nonlisting of Alien cards as acceptable ID's in the 2005 California handbook.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/27/05 4:28pm
Msg #40856

From the California 2005 handbook:

For the purposes of preparing for submission of forms required by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, and only for such purposes, a notary public may also accept for identification any documents or declarations acceptable to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Now, will the INS accept the green cards, seems as they are the ones issuing them,they should accept them???????

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/27/05 4:49pm
Msg #40860

Re: Good point Silvia!!!!

Reply by JohCal on 5/27/05 5:57pm
Msg #40872

I was so confused after your post so I called the CA SOS office and spoke to Pam. After disecting Paragraph 4 of Civil Code 1185, she concluded that because the Green Card does not contain the description of the person as specified in the paragraph, it is NOT an acceptable form of ID.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/27/05 10:32pm
Msg #40924

JohCal,
I understand it is not acceptable ID for notarizations, however as the handbook states:

For the purposes of preparing for submission of forms required by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, and only for such purposes, a notary public may also accept for identification any documents or declarations acceptable to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

It seems that one would need to check with the Immigration and Naturalization Service as to what they would accept as identification for their forms.

And if you check with the Immigration and Naturalization Service what they accept for identification they say:

Some applications require specific forms of identification. Please see the instructions on the individual application for more information. In general, a government issued photo ID (e.g., state-issued driver's license, state-issued identification card, passport, Permanent Resident Card).

So, the Permanent Resident Card (Green card) is acceptable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, even though it is not acceptable for regular California notarizations.

If a California notary cannot use the permanent resident card for identification for notarizing immigration forms, then they need to strike that paragraph out of the 2005 handbook.

Call again, and ask about the paragraph where it states that for immigration and naturalization forms only they can use identification acceptable to the immigration and naturalization services, and the INS say a permanent resident card is acceptable.

Maybe Pam didn't understand that you were asking about the immigration matters and not regular notarizations????

Reply by JohCal on 5/29/05 4:24pm
Msg #41134

I specifically asked about using the green card for INS documents. I'll call again but it's killing me that I have to wait till Tuesday. I'll try to contact the instructor, too. Maybe she can further elaborate.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/29/05 6:23pm
Msg #41150

The instructor I e-mailed got back with me and said the green cards can be used for immigration purposes.

I have asked her to come on here and postSmiley

But this was her e-mail to me:

Hi Sylvia
I was out all day playing golf so I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Green cards cannot be used for Notary Identification but can be used for immigration purposes as this is all most immigrants have as I.D.

Reply by Jenni/CA on 5/28/05 12:10am
Msg #40940

Where in the handbook are you reading this? It is not under 1185 When quoting codes, especially another states, you should post the code you are referring to at the time.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/28/05 1:03am
Msg #40950

It is in the California notary Public Handbook for 2005.

1185, I believe, is a civil code. I read it under Government Code (had an 82 ????? number)
I copied and pasted it from the handbook. Do a search in the handbook for the phrase I posted, you will find it.

Reply by Jenni on 5/28/05 1:54am
Msg #40952

I have a copy of the 2000 handbook. Green cards were never allowed back then either.

I also have workbook from a class back then and they had us write in the book that Green Cards were not allowed.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/28/05 1:50pm
Msg #40996

Hi Jenni
No-one is disputing that CA notaries cannot accept the Resident Alien Card for notarizations. What needs clarifying is the statement in the handbook that for INS purposes only a notary can accept ID that is acceptable to the INS. A Resident Alien Card is acceptable to the INS, so it would follow that if a notary in CA were notarizing forms for submission to the INS, for that purpose only they could accept the Resident Alien Card. But they cannot use them for regular notarizations.

I know, it is confusing, but it does need clarifying. I have e-mailed someone who teaches classes in CA to get her take on this.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/28/05 2:03pm
Msg #40998

Green cards are listed in the 2003 hand book as acceptable ID for INS forms. But it is not listed in the 2005 hand book. Let us know what you come up with Silvia. It is very confusing. This might have something to do with the fact that they are changing the law in regards to illegal immigrants. I have heard that fake green cards are a common occurrence, and they are trying to make it harder for illegal immigrants to get around the laws. But the hand book has conflicting information if the code says one thing and list of acceptable Id's another.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/28/05 2:19pm
Msg #41002

Identifying Signers.
In notarizing forms that will be submitted to the U.S Immigration and Naturalization Services(INS) and those forms only, a Notary may accept as proof of identity any ID or documentation acceptable to the INS, including a resident alien ID ( green card ) Government code, Section 8230.
This is in the 2005 hand book. But is no longer listed in the list of acceptable forms of Id's. And if folks giving classes are informing us that it is no longer acceptable. Perhaps they know something we don't know. Is the law in the process of being changed? Sure would like to know.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/28/05 3:34pm
Msg #41014

Erna
But is the list of acceptable forms you are referring to, the list for general notarizatons? In which case it wouldn't be listed as it is not an acceptable form.

Best way to find out if laws are being changed is, I believe, to look at the bills being discussed.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/29/05 5:33pm
Msg #41146

Silvia
Green card used to be listed as Acceptable Identifications Documents.(Government Code, Section 8230) but only for notarization of INS forms. In the California notary Law Primer.
It is no longer listed in the handbook in that section.
I have been searching but have not found anything in regards to the law being changed.
The 2005 handbook states in Government Code 8230 section b
"For the purposes of preparing for submission of Fromm's required by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, and only for such purposes, a notary public may also accept for identification any documents or declarations acceptable to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service." but dose not list the acceptable Id's
So I am presuming that only the ones stated in the section Acceptable Id's is what they are referring to as acceptable, as a green card is not mentioned any were in the 2005 law primer as a form of acceptable ID.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/29/05 5:35pm
Msg #41147

Re: Green Card..I hope John can clarify for us :)

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/29/05 8:22pm
Msg #41156

Well, it does say "any documents or declarations acceptable to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services" and the INS does accept the "green"card, so that would come under the "any document" acceptable to the INS

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.