Notary Rotary
Gumbled docs.
Notary Discussion History

Gumbled docs.
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Anon on 5/20/05 11:18am
Msg #39263

Gumbled docs.

I just got a call about a file I sent out and they docked my fee because they said the docs were no in order. I think that is crap! I consider myself to be very orderly with the docs I have signed. My thought was did they drop them out of the courier package when they arrived! Has anyone else had this problem? If they want them signed and to remain in the order printed, I think it is crazy! I always do the HUD first and the Note second. These two items are not usually in that order when received. I generally return them that way also.

Reply by MIRNA- CA on 5/20/05 11:28am
Msg #39266

I KNOW WE SHOULD KEEP DOCUMENTS IN ORDER .

Reply by Kim_NJ on 5/20/05 11:36am
Msg #39275

I pull the HUD, Note, TIL, Mortgage and RTC and get those signed first. I usually return them in that order as well. Never had a problem, nor have I ever seen "rules" about the order of the documents.

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 5/20/05 11:57am
Msg #39285

THAT IS GOOD TO HEAR BUT SOME SIGNING COMPANIES ARE DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS I THINK

Reply by Paul_IL on 5/20/05 12:39pm
Msg #39301

Since when do you return docs to a signing company? Return docs go to lender or title based on instructions. I would call the service and tell them you returned the docs in the order received and you will not accept a reduction in fee. If they insist call the title company directly.

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 5/20/05 11:50am
Msg #39280

Sounds like they're just searching for a reason to doc you

Tell them it was not in your agreement and you will not take a fee less than agreed upon unless the specific "rule" is written in the confirmation.

I did one that the signing service stated 3 times in the confirmation that if I didn't email, fax or call with the tracking number by 9am after the signing that my fee would be docked. I made sure that I did all 3. It just seems like they try and find ways not to pay the full fee-or at least have an "out" when they don't.

Reply by CarolynCO on 5/20/05 12:09pm
Msg #39286

Do you aligator clip them, or just sent loose?

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 5/20/05 12:16pm
Msg #39289

Re: Gumbled docs.

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 5/20/05 12:16pm
Msg #39290

Re: Gumbled docs.

Reply by Mike/NJ on 5/20/05 12:31pm
Msg #39297

Some SS have that clause as part of there contracts. I avoid SS that deducts for every minor thing.

Reply by Anon on 5/20/05 1:11pm
Msg #39317

I clip them securely with a binder clip. In response to the comments, I understand most people do keep their docs in good order. I am a professional and I do my job well, I just wondered if anyone else had this problem? I feel like I need to charge more for closings for that Just in case they find some reason to doc my pay for doing my job. The next thing you know the title company will want us to stack their files to send them up for funding! I am
"Anon" because SS read these post and I'm complaining but I'm really just trying to find out if anyone else had this done to them and was it common?

Reply by ItsMe123 on 5/20/05 1:18pm
Msg #39321

Ask for a stacking order or try this

If one is specific as to the order they want to docs recieved, they should include a stacking order in the confirmation or in the doc package themselves. Frequently they are in the package but it is one of those "pass by docs" I know order sounds pesky to us but when multiple packages are received by someone. a quick "whip through" the docs when they are in "stacking order" allows those checking the docs a faster method to make sure all docs are there. Otherwise they first have to put them in "stacking order" and then check them.

Making sure docs are in "stacking order" is just another way to provide value added service

However, there are other ways to guarantee order.

Here is what I do

Use the borrowers set of docs to point out the specific docs such as the HUD and the note. Take just a moment in the bringing of a signing to pull out the note and the HUD (some may also pull the TIL) of the borrower's copies. Go over these to make sure they are to the approval of the borrower. If they are, set the borrower copies aside and whiz through signing the lender copies. It may take an extra moment in the beginning but in the long run, the signing will go much faster and you are adding value to your service by making sure the docs go back in "stacking order". JMHO

Reply by HisHughness on 5/20/05 11:32pm
Msg #39450

Re: Ask for a stacking order or try this

ItsMe123 (would you regard it as too familiar if I just call you Its?) reports:

***Use the borrowers set of docs to point out the specific docs such as the HUD and the note. Take just a moment in the bringing of a signing to pull out the note and the HUD (some may also pull the TIL) of the borrower's copies.***

That's a wonderful suggestion, Its, and I'm really pissed that I didn't think of it myself. Stay the hell out of my territory; I don't want you offering that kind of thoughtful service to my customers.

That used to be the wonderful thing about this forum, before it got co-opted by hordes of green-behind-the-ears NNA cookie cutter notaries who came here to learn how to spell notary public: You could pick up that kind of valuable tip at least once a day. Now those useful nuggets usually are submerged beneath an impenetrable, odiferous midden of inane questions and whines about hurt feelings.

Between male enhancement spam and neophyte notaries on the Internet, I'm beginning to regard TV as a cultural paradise.

Reply by Joan-OH on 5/20/05 1:05pm
Msg #39314

The same companies that want them in order also want you to fax this, fax that, fax the 3rd & last page of this, just the second page of that.....etc......

I'd like to see THEM keep it in order. I've seen it in the instructions and basically do the best I can to keep it in somewhat of an order, but don't go out of my way. Title docs get bunched together, lender docs get bunched, period.

Joan-OH

Reply by Anon on 5/20/05 1:14pm
Msg #39319

That is what I am talking about......jump these hoops......do this, do that......and by the way if we can find something to cut your fee for.....we will. So is the life of a notary.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/20/05 2:27pm
Msg #39335

I keep them in the same order that I recieved them in with a big clip on them. I would explain that to them and tell them that I did my job and expect full payment. Hopefully that would be enough. I would invoice them and if they didn't pay in full in 60 I would consider letting the title company know. The only problem would be if it was someone at the title company that dropped them and didn't admit to it.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/20/05 4:21pm
Msg #39361

i always keep them in the order i receive them. And when I have a fax back, i go through the pack and photocopy the fax backs that way i don't mix the doc's. then fax back the photocopies. Makes it much easier.

Reply by HisHughness on 5/20/05 6:56pm
Msg #39402

I gotta admit: "Gumble" was a new one on me. Though I suspected the poster actually meant "jumbled," which, of course, means "mixed up," "gumble" just sounded like it should be a word.

However, Merriam Webster's Dictionary disagreed: No listing. So did Webster's New World Dictionary, the DK Illustrated Oxford Dictionary, The DK Ultimate Visual Dictionary, the Dictionary of Popular Slang, and Partridge's Concise Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English. though Partridge did offer the exquisite "gum-chum" for a WWII era GI, and "gum-sucking," for French kissing.

Then -- Bingo! The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary yielded up both "gumble" and "gumble-seat." The former, though, is not a verb: It is a noun meaning "jaw bone." The latter is obviously also a noun: It is a dipping stool for punishing sharp-tongued women (Gad! How I miss those days!)

From which I gather that our linguistically innovative poster has transmuted two nouns into a verb signifying that he feels like he's been on a gumble-seat because he jumbled up the documents and has had to listen to being berated by a signing service lackey wielding the jawbone of an ass. Wish I could be that creative.

Reply by Cyn_NY on 5/20/05 7:24pm
Msg #39407

Great insight. I figured it was a misspelling of "jumbled", but I like your interpretation better.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.