Notary Rotary
Help Please!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Help Please!!!!
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by TEE Fl on 5/26/05 1:05pm
Msg #40549

Help Please!!!!

Hi, I have a closing this afternoon via edocs i have just printed out and docs say May25th well, title co i am doing this for wants me to do my notarial acts dated this date... i told them that i have to do the date i am actually doing the certificate.. i am correct right..... tia

Reply by DM_FL on 5/26/05 1:08pm
Msg #40550

You're 100% correct.

Reply by Linda on 5/26/05 1:08pm
Msg #40551

Yes, you are right. That is back dating and is against the law.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/26/05 1:08pm
Msg #40552

Only date using today's date. Don't change the pre-printed dates on the docs, except for the Right to Cancel. Never, never, never notarize a document saying you sat in front of the signers on other date. That would be putting your commission on the line.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/26/05 1:13pm
Msg #40557

Yesterday I notorized a DOT dated 23rd, I did crossed out the 23 and wrote 25 and I initialled and the borrowerr
also. Did I do the right thing?

Reply by Tee FL on 5/26/05 1:26pm
Msg #40560

Thanks Guys.... That is what i told them and everything they sign will be todays date and the rtc i will have them mark out the 25th and put todays date as well as the correct recission date! thanks for responding hope this goes smoother this evening than it has so far haha. Firt it was a simple refi pkg maybe 88 pages oh not it was not!!! plus faxed pages too! Oh well part of the territory i guess suck it up and get it done. have a great day all!!!!!

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 5/26/05 1:46pm
Msg #40571

I didn't think you were ever supposed to change the date

on the DOT. I had a signing a couple of weeks ago that fell through one day, but signed the next. Title Company told me to have borrowers cross out all of the pre-printed dates, write the correct date and initial-EXCEPT THE DOT. She specifically said not to touch that one.

The loan went through because I got paid.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/26/05 2:11pm
Msg #40580

***I notarized a DOT dated 23rd, I did crossed out the 23 and wrote 25***

It is not up to the notary to change dates especially on something as important as the DOT. In the notarial wording of the certificate you should have written in the 25th, but to change the actual document itself could have serious repercussions - like its not recording.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/26/05 2:12pm
Msg #40581

The only date you should concern yourself with on the DOT is the date on your notarial certificate.

First if the DOT is datd the 23rd, then the Note would be dated the 23rd, and the date on the DOT and the Note must match! So, if you changed the date on the DOT itself it will probably create problems.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/26/05 2:40pm
Msg #40596

The signature page of the DOT was printed
"On May 23rd 2005 before me NOTARY personnally appeared Mr Borrower" blah, blah. etc

But Mr Borrower did not appeared before me on that day, so I just crossed out 23 and
initialled and wrote 25.

The rest of the 14 pages were kept original. I hope I did the right thing.

Sylvia? what do yo think?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/26/05 3:52pm
Msg #40611

That is fine! I was understanding from your message that you had changed the date on the DOT itself, especially as I think you said you had the borrower initial as well (?)

Anything on your notary certificate is your domain, borrowers do not initial anything on there. You iniital changes to your notary certificate and no one else.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.