Notary Rotary
Help...
Notary Discussion History

Help...
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 5/17/05 11:09am
Msg #38313

Help...

I'm notarizing a Doctor's signature this afternoon for a woman adopting overseas...
first actual notarial act for me. I have the Alabama ack and the jurat stamp. I'm not sure what this form looks like that I'm notarizing, meaning will there be an acknowledgment on it? I have searched and read that the person you are notarizing for should decide which to use. So, should I type out an AL ack to attach to the doc and take the stamp in case and just stamp this doc if that's what she wants? I'm driving myself bonkers over this!

I hope this question makes sense

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 5/17/05 11:15am
Msg #38317

KISS answer ...

Call the doctor's office and ask if the form already contains a "notarization block". You MAY have to describe what one looks like to the receptionist or whoever you are talking too (no need to talk to doctor).

Generally these forms contain EXACTLY what the receiving country or agency want to see. Most I see often have jurats (because receiver wants "truthful statements" regarding facts).

For example, I had to sign a number of financial affidavits and other documents when "sponsoring" immigrant relatives to U.S.A. These were all jurats; facts re MY income, home, finances and ability to support immigrant if s/he couldn't work, and, if necessary, I agree to pay any and all medical costs and other debts incurred by immigrant I was sponsoring (that's an UGLY one).

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/17/05 11:16am
Msg #38318

Since you don't know if the form will have a notarial certificate, you should bring a loose acknowledgment and jurat with you. Then if the wording does not comply with AL law and/or there is no wording they can select the desired form.

Reply by Roger/OH on 5/17/05 11:18am
Msg #38319

I've done a number of these in physician's offices for adoptions. They're usually medical forms for the doc to sign. The various forms I've seen have had both acks and jurats, so ensure that the wording is OK for your state and go for it. I charge the notary fee and reasonable travel, usually $25-$30 total. Charge extra if the docs keeps you waiting more than 30 minutes! Give the client a receipt as many adoption-related expenses are tax deductible.

Reply by Charm_AL on 5/17/05 11:21am
Msg #38322

Thank you thank you thank you!....n/m

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/17/05 11:21am
Msg #38321

The documents should already have the notary certificates pre-printed on them. Of course, they may not be in accordance with your state notary laws, but they can be modified to conform or you can attach a loose certificate of like kind. That is, if the pre-printed certificate is an acknowledgment, then you would need to correct it (cross out, initial changes) or attach a loose acknowledgment. If it's a jurat, then you would need to correct it (cross out, initial changes) or attach a loose jurat. Chances are, you won't need to make any corrections or attach any loose certificates. Don't -assume- that a notarial certificate is required unless you are directed by the custodian that one is needed or there is explicit instructions on the document that says to attach an acknowledgment or jurat certificate.

You've been around the boards long enough to recognize the difference between an acknowledgment and a jurat.

As a refresher, look for keywords: ACKNOWLEDGE indicates an acknowledgment would be required; SWORN TO or AFFIRMED, UNDER OATH, AFFIANT, DEPOSES AND SAYS are keywords and phrases indicating an oath must be given and jurat certificate completed.

Reply by Kim / NJ on 5/17/05 11:23am
Msg #38323

Being in the midst of an international adoption ourselves, I can say with about 99% confidence the form will have a jurat already pre-printed. I am not familiar with the laws in AL so I am not sure if the wording will need to be changed or not.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/17/05 11:25am
Msg #38325

Which country does your new child come from? n/m

Reply by Kim / NJ on 5/17/05 11:26am
Msg #38326

Re: Which country does your new child come from? n/m

Originally started with Russia, but due to recent changes / complication with Russia adoption laws, we have switched to Kazakhstan. We are hoping to bring our child home this fall.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/17/05 11:32am
Msg #38329

Re: Which country does your new child come from?

That is GREAT! Congratulations! I have a cousin who adopted Russian kids. One is from the Odessa area. She is very fair with blond hair and blue eyes. The other child they adopted got moved to Odessa from somewhere up north. He is very dark and looks like a cross between Asian and Eskimo. They are such lucky kids to have been chosen!
Good Luck to you and your family Smiley

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/17/05 1:57pm
Msg #38366

As the adoptive mother of 3 bouncing boys...

my thoughts and prayers are with you.

We adopted our oldest from Mexico after being told time and time again that ALL Mexican adoptions are illegal and are nightmares. It was definitely a nightmare worth living. He graduates La Jolla High June 16. We adopted him as a newborn and did the whole immigration NIGHTMARE. Believe it or not, we had a much more difficult time dealing with the United States than we did any of the government agencies in Mexico.

Our other two guys were both born in the US.

Reply by Bill/CA on 5/17/05 12:25pm
Msg #38338

You need to have a tablet of Jurats or ACK with you when ever you go do notarizations.
If they don't have one you are prepared. If they do have one and you make an error filling it out you can attach one to correct it. The Notary Rotary sells them, I really like the paper they are printed on. You can also type up your own, abid by your state law, but put them in a folder and have them with you at all times. Good Luck!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/17/05 1:07pm
Msg #38347

***If they do have one and you make an error filling it out you can attach one to correct it.***

Very good point. I had a co-borrower start to fill out my notarial section when the borrow had distracted me. Good thing I had my NotRot spares with me!

Reply by Bill/CA on 5/17/05 2:37pm
Msg #38396

I had a borrower sign my ACK for her DOT, good thing I caught it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/17/05 2:00pm
Msg #38369

Charm
I always carry loose acknowledgment, loose jurats, and lots of other loose certificates in my brief case so I am always prepared for whatever certificate I need if the document doesn't have one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.