Notary Rotary
Homemade Jurats ?
Notary Discussion History

Homemade Jurats ?
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by LisaK/WI on 5/14/05 9:12am
Msg #37749

Homemade Jurats ?

I came across a situation where I might of needed to attach a loose jurat. I have made up some extras with all the proper wording. My question is: For protection, is it OK to put in the bottom left corner of the jurat, Type of Document, Borrowers Name, Ect. Or does this need to be put in a top section of the jurat as such:
Type of Document:
Borrowers:

I guess my question is: Should this be a separate part of the jurat? Maybe separated with a line?

Reply by IPS on 5/14/05 10:36am
Msg #37759

I created fancy watermarked certificates...

To answer your question, yes, I believe it should be separate part of the jurat.

I finished my loose leaf certificates. While doing it, I figured I would add "Security Features" on the reverse side in a light gray text that looks like it's been watermarked.

I created the notary certificates in a special color coded manner that is detailed in the "Security Features" side. For instance, I made the sigil of my state in color, and created a blue line where I added a box for the document information/ signers information part.

I even added an optional box for a thumbprint.

Everything came out very nice and professional. My state has laws that make it a felony too alter or forge a record by a clerk of court, justice of the peace, notary public, etc. So, on the reverse side, I added the states text on the violation and punishment of altering my certificate.

I have NNA certificates, but mine makes those look like garbage!! LOL I was unhappy with their certificates. Mine have the state sigil, special wording, and optional misc. information that is intended to protect the person who is relying on the document. Not to mention myself against identity fraud.

Reply by IPS on 5/14/05 10:42am
Msg #37761

Here's my "SECURITY FEATURES"

I think that it is a good idea for all notaries to put something like this on their homemade certificates.

Note that on the front, where I put misc. information, I made a notation saying: "For your protection, make sure you read the security features on the reverse. If none exists, please do no accept this document for it may have been altered or forged."

SECURITY FEATURES

The “Security Features” of this document should help prevent:

1.) Unauthorized Duplications and/or
2.) Reattachments to other documents

Please note the following features:

1.) An impressed seal should be affixed on the bottom of the page;
2.) The Massachusetts Sigil is in color;
3.) The Optional line is blue;
4.) The officer’s signature should be original.

WARNING: If the features don’t exist then you should not accept this document because it may be fraudulent. HOWEVER, if the officer’s seal is impressed and affixed to the bottom of the page, then you should accept it. Make sure the notary’s name is the same as the name on the impressed seal. If the names are different, then fraud may have been committed.

M.G.L. c. 267 § 1: False or Forged Records or Certificates of Notary Public, etc.:

Whoever, with intent to injure or defraud, falsely makes, alters, forges or counterfeits a public record, or a certificate, return or attestation of a clerk or register of a court, public register, notary public, justice of the peace, town clerk or any other public officer….. shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years or in jail for not more than two years.

Reply by LisaK/WI on 5/14/05 11:09am
Msg #37766

Re: Here's my "SECURITY FEATURES"

I realize this may be stretching it, but would you care to share this with me? I do have a program that I can create a watermark. If not I totally understand.

Reply by LisaWI on 5/14/05 11:12am
Msg #37767

Re: Here's my "SECURITY FEATURES"

Here is my link, if you decide yes.

Reply by Susan Axelrod on 5/14/05 12:49pm
Msg #37790

Re: Here's my "SECURITY FEATURES"To Anonymous

I would love a look see also, if you'd like to share. I'm harmless, I'm in CA. Thanks

Reply by IPS on 5/14/05 4:59pm
Msg #37834

They have been sent to you using Word 2000 n/m

Reply by CA_Jeanet on 5/14/05 2:14pm
Msg #37811

I also decided to design my own jurats. I have purchased the originals from NNA, and decided they were too expensive. I called the CA Sec of State office for Notaries and asked it would be legal to design my own, and they stated that as long as we do not add or delete any wording, it is legal. This board is very informative...thanks to all!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.