Notary Rotary
ID issue - PA notaries
Notary Discussion History

ID issue - PA notaries
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Pierce/PA on 5/10/05 7:37am
Msg #36858

ID issue - PA notaries

Yesterday I posted a message regarding a signing I had done Friday night and the borrower's drivers license was expired. I emailed the PA Association of Notaries about this and this is their response.

"You cannot use an expired driver's license. When you ID your customer, it
must be current, government issued ID, personal knowledge or credible
witness."

I see I made the right decision in not doing the signing on Friday night. The borrower did get his license renewed and we completed the signing last night.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/10/05 8:48am
Msg #36869

Re: ID issue

This emphasizes the importance of being specific about the state as in CA that ID may have been acceptable. Here we can use an expired DL if it is current or, if expired, issued within the past five years.

Reply by Mike/NJ on 5/10/05 9:08am
Msg #36873

Look in your state book - NJ does not need a photo ID and you can use an expired state ID within a certain time period.

I'm sure each state book is different about IDs.

Reply by PA Notary II on 5/10/05 9:30am
Msg #36877

On page 20 of the PA Dept. of State booklet titled "Notaries Public in Pennsylvania : A Position of Public Trust", there is a paragraph titled 'Determining The Identity of Person Appearing'.

"Satisfactory evidence" means the reliance on the presentation of a current, government issued identification card bearing a photograph or signature or physical description and serial or identification number or the oath or affirmation of a credible witness who is personally known to the notary and who personally knows the individual.

Depends on what the definition of "current" is. (Somewhat like Clinton's definition of "is" is.)

Reply by sue on 5/10/05 10:02am
Msg #36884

Mary, I use the expired licenses for my own satisfaction. I use a social security card, voter registration card, vehicle card, gun permit, etc., for the state's purposes.

All that said, it does drive me nuts with the expired licenses - they send them at least 3 months early. I get the print outs all the time when they renew on line or they give me the camera card because they feel since they can still drive that makes it okay. I've written to my senator and suggested to PAN several times that someone should start a publicity campaign because notaries are the only ones informed about the new id requirements - doctors offices should have fliers for the elderly (especially when the doctor requests their driving privileges be revoked), the orphans court should have them for marriage license applicants, attorneys should be advising their divorcing clients, etc. how important it is to follow through with name changes.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/10/05 10:12am
Msg #36888

Re: ID issue - no DL

I've had a couple of signings where the borrower (and/or spouse) didn't have a current DL. They were elderly and/or diabled (eyes, siezures etc) and had had DL revoked . Sure, they can get a state ID card but why?

Bank - they've been banking there so long they can name the managers kids, grandkids, ex wife etc. by first name.
Store - they have debit card, credit card etc. (some only use cash!)

Luckily, they had passports. Also, MD is very lax on definition of proof of identity.

Art

Reply by SANDY-MD on 5/10/05 1:05pm
Msg #36935

I had a signing for some one who didnt have a drivers license or state ID card I had to use an expired Jail ID- It had his picture SS# and only expired a few months ago.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/10/05 1:45pm
Msg #36951

Isn't it nice that the requirements for proof of ID is so loose. Saves us that occasional no signing that occur in other states due to lack of DL.

Art

Where in MD?

Reply by SANDY-MD on 5/11/05 9:58am
Msg #37083

Essex

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.