Notary Rotary
Is this common?
Notary Discussion History

Is this common?
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by MaggieMae_CA on 5/6/05 11:04am
Msg #36242

Is this common?

Since posting myself on NotRot and a couple of other sites I periodically get phone calls from people I'm assuming are notary shopping. They'll call and ask what my fee is for notarizing a single signature. The calls have all been from people within 5 miles of my home/office. I quote them a $15 trip charge and $10 per signature. They thank me and say they need to check with the person whose signature needs to be notarized and then I never hear back.

Are these really other notaries trying to find out what notaries are charging or are they real people who think I'm too expensive? I've visited a number of notary websites of notaries in my area and am basing my fee from what they have posted on their sites.

Personally, when I've needed a notary I stop at Postal Annex or someplace like that and do it there. I wouldn't have someone come to my house because of the 3 notorious boys, 2 chow chows and the attack cat.

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/6/05 12:56pm
Msg #36261

Maggie,

I get calls all the time for little jobs from those I assume to be students. I suggest they run up to the UPS Store and pay $6 for the job rather than paying me the trip fee.

If they insisted, of course I'd go and charge them a reasonable trip fee and allowed notary charge.

I avoid these kinds of jobs because without fail they cancel on me when they figure out they can get it done cheaper in town....I don't even quote for them.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/6/05 1:02pm
Msg #36262

Thanks Brenda, I think I'll start suggesting that as well. One woman made it sound like I was trying to rip her off when I quoted her my fee "FOR ONE SIGNATURE!"

Reply by calipat/ca on 5/6/05 1:07pm
Msg #36264

I will tell them my fee and some people do accept it. If they say they will call back later and let me know I always tell them to check out The Postal Annex or The UPS Store, sometimes I get a call back and sometimes I don't.

Reply by Dave C on 5/6/05 6:51pm
Msg #36336

I get calls like that all the time usally they don't even want to pay 10.00. I did one for a lady after driving about 3-miles and not charging her she stillthough 10.00 was alot.

Reply by Melody on 5/6/05 9:58pm
Msg #36375

Cheaper than a taxi

I tell them I am cheaper than a taxi would cost.

And this taxi has a notary in it!

Reply by Tricia on 5/6/05 10:08pm
Msg #36376

Re: Cheaper than a taxi

If the call is from an indivdual that I do not know, then I quote a trip fee. Several times I have been called by a company or person whom I did a loan signing for and I will go and not charge a trip fee. I call this customer service and a way to get repeat business or referrals. I notarize for a company who will periodically pay me extra "for the trip" which makes the free trips worthwhile. Besides, I have their business, don't I!

Reply by CarolynCO on 5/6/05 10:57pm
Msg #36380

I get several calls from individuals needing general acknowledgements. In fact, every call has turned into a paying job. Some come to my house and for others, I meet at another location -- library, Dr.'s offices, gasoline parking lots, etc. No one has ever commented or complained with my state-allowed notary fee or my travel fee. Also, since each call has been a paying job, I have never experienced any lookie loos or competition checking calls.

Reply by melissaNV on 5/8/05 12:14pm
Msg #36533

The comments I get are: The bank doesn't charge me anything.
In NV the fee is only $5 per sig.
I always remind them that most banks won't do docs that aren't bank business. At least this is true around me.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.