Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Larita Knight notary service - mistakes?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by SamIam_CA on 5/28/05 4:00pm
Msg #41019

A couple of threads back you mentioned that a Title/Escrow Co. will not put up with any mistakes. Can you list some of the errors made by notaries that we all need to be careful about?
Grammar police - sorry about ending with a preposition. Just can't think how to word my question!

Reply by HisHughness on 5/28/05 4:32pm
Msg #41021

SamIam CA laments:

***Can you list some of the errors made by notaries that we all need to be careful about?
Grammar police - sorry about ending with a preposition. Just can't think how to word my question!***

"Can you list some of the errors made by notaries that we all need to be careful about, Learned Wise One?"

Reply by HisHughness on 5/28/05 4:37pm
Msg #41022

In further amplication:

Whereas ending with a preposition is often regarded as unacceptable, female signing agents should be aware that ending with a proposition is generally well-received. As in:

"Johnny, I know it's late and you want to get home, but would you like to come in and thrash around on the couch for a while?"

Reply by Katie/CA on 5/28/05 5:15pm
Msg #41030

You are bad! n/m

Reply by Melody on 5/28/05 11:30pm
Msg #41074

Telling Hugh he is Bad is like .....

Telling Hugh he is Bad is like .....

Standing in the middle of a furnace at full heat and saying "I feel a bit warm."

Treading water in Antarctic waters and saying "I feel a tad cool."

Being a menopausal woman who has just been told "Carob is just like chocolate."
(prepare to be dead)

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/29/05 12:37pm
Msg #41111

Old Learned Wise Ones - did I blow it?

Chalk this up as an inexperienced mistake.

I told borrower to sign his name exactly as printed "Abraham J. Lincoln". His writing looks like chicken scratch and I couldn't decipher it. But he signs it that way consistently.

When we get to the DOT I remind him to sign "Abraham J. Lincoln" exactly as printed. Then the wife say something to him in their native tongue and he signs in script that looks like a 5th grade girl. I don't mean to disparage 5th grade girls, but you know that type of swirly too neatly formed cursive.

Had I been an Old Wizened One I'd have taken out his clean borrower's copy and had him sign like he had been doing consistently. Instead - being a novice - I worried that the DOT signature did not match the signature on the note. So I took the original note and had him sign again to match the DOT.

Yes, now the note has one chicken scratch signature and one swirly from the same man. Should I alert the title company to my faux paux when I return the docs on Tuesday morning? Should I call the borrower and ask to come back and replace the originals with the borrowers copies? Or should I just turn in the package and pray the loan closes in 3 days? HELP!

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/29/05 12:40pm
Msg #41113

Re: Old Learned Wise Ones - did I blow it?

If they are close by , by all means go and use the borrowers copy, better safe than sorry. You will sleep better and you made sure to do all you could to make sure things were right.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/29/05 12:42pm
Msg #41114

Re: Old Learned Wise Ones - did I blow it? opps ...

not a old learned wise one. Sorry, replied before considering the header.

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/29/05 12:53pm
Msg #41120

I think that as long as the matching signature is on the note you should be ok.

I simply tell people that they should sign there name how it is printed on the documents. I can't force them to sign a certain way, so if their signature is chicken scratch, so be it. As far as I know it's never been a problem.

If they have a legible signature and it's clear they didn't include their middle initial, then I'll ask them to include it. And if they refuse, they refuse. But once they've started signing, there's no point in reminding them how to continue signing, especially if the signature isn't readable anyway. If nothing else, you want all of the signatures to be consistent throughout the docs.

Reply by Sam I am on 5/29/05 5:17pm
Msg #41142

***I think that as long as the matching signature is on the note you should be ok.***

Yea! That is the answer I was hoping to get. Now I can get back to enjoying the gorgeous weekend.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.