Notary Rotary
Looking to shadow a closing in Va Beach
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Jennifer Kubrich on 5/25/05 9:42am
Msg #40268

Hi Everyone...I'm extremely new to this business and reside in the Virginia Beach area. I have obtained my notary license and become a registered signing agent, however have not yet done a closing. I am wondering if there is anyone in the area that would be willing to allow me to shadow a closing or two, so I can see the process before I jump into the fire. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reply by jennifer kubrich on 5/25/05 9:47am
Msg #40273

If anyone is interested, please feel free to email me at [e-mail address] Thanks!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/25/05 10:29am
Msg #40282

Jennifer - hope you come back to read because I can't get to my e-mail right now. Please read message 33325 dated 04/22 before you begin.

Reply by Jennifer Kubrich on 5/25/05 11:11am
Msg #40299

Thanks for replying to my message. I went to #33325 and I noticed one of the suggestions, stating not to look for a mentor "in your own backyard" - Believe me, I considered this before writing my initial message. However, the reason I have become a signing agent is because I have watched both of my parents, who are in the state of NY, become highly successful in this business. Odviously from thier hard work and dedication, but also b/c they formed a small network of "friends" who serve the same territories as them. Building relationships in thier area has been a huge success as they don't consider themselves "competitors", but a network of people all trying to reach the same goal.

It's not only great for asking questions or trading knowledge, this comes in handy when one SA may have a business trip or vacation. My parents have developed such wonderful relationships with the companies that they work with, that they (the signing/title co's) appreciate a referal to another SA when my parents are not available; (it is nice to be referred to someone by a person you already know and trust) b/c the signing companies appreicate the professional manner in which they handle themselves, they don't automatically stop calling them and start using the "stand in" in thier place. They continue on distributing work as they did prior to the vacation, only now they have another SA to use, on the days when my parents are booked with other appointments. This concept goes both ways - when thier networking buddies are going to be unavailable they refer work back. This is also a great way for them to make contact with companies they may have never worked with. I think is is a trully unique concept.

I think we all want the same thing - success. It's a scary concept, but not all so "out there" if you think about it" Sure, it would be great to have all of the work to ourselves, but frankly I don't believe there is enough time in the day for one person to handle ALL of it.

I of course, am still extremely new to this industry and am still not certain how saturated the Hampton roads area is...- but, I hope that I can form these types of relationships in this area as I believe it is just another asset to have in this industry. As for now, I am not looking for anyone to tell me who they are working with or how they market themselves. I am and have been doing that legwork on my own. I am simply hoping there is someone out there who wouldn't mind if I went on a closing with them, just to get a feel for the process.

Thanks again for the reference, I really do appreciate it!

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/25/05 11:20am
Msg #40306

Welcome to the insanity, Jennifer. It sounds like you have a good attitude that will make you successful!

Having a network of notaries to whom you can refer work (and who will refer work to you) is very valuable. Unfortunately, some geographical areas are so saturated with notaries public that everyone is looked on as competition. Try doing a search on your zip code to see how many notary signing agents there are near you.

It will help everyone help you if you include the two-letter abbreviation for your state in the Author field when you post in any notary Forum. Each state has its own quirks.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/25/05 11:25am
Msg #40307

Re: mentors and networking

Thanks for reading the 'beginners post'. It is impossible to tell what someones background is when they 1st post so I didn't know where you were coming from.

I am a firm supporter of networking and passing on jobs that I can't accept to other notaries I have met in this forum.

To check for saturation in your area - go to the "find a notary" tab and enter your zip code. For example I have 434 notaries within 50 miles of my house. Since that is WAY too crowded to expect someone to take me along I signed up for a mentor with The Signing Registry and it has worked out fine.

Good Luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Reply by Calnotary on 5/25/05 11:32am
Msg #40312

1459 in 50 miles around me. That just only in NOTROT, NOT counting the real numbers that never register with websites.

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/25/05 11:38am
Msg #40315

Re: Calnotary, where are you located? n/m

Reply by jennifer kubrich VA on 5/25/05 12:01pm
Msg #40323

Thanks everyone for your input...I did the zip code check and 116 or so in a 50 mile radius. I have contacted the signing registry in regards to mentoring services although I am not sure if they will be able to provide what I am looking for. Only b/c I have my parents in NY that have been excellent mentors and the signing registry may not be able to find a mentor in my state, and at this point I am only looking for someone to shadow on a closing or two. Well, I will keep my fingers crossed and if I can't find anyone, hopefully my knowledge will get me through the first couple that I do....Either way, I'm sure you all will be getting lots of questions from me as I move forward!

Reply by Philem on 5/25/05 12:09pm
Msg #40324

Jennifer, e-mail me at the address in my profile, regarding mentoring. I'm in Ohio, but have some hints that may help. :-)

-Jim

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/25/05 12:23pm
Msg #40326

Jennifer, if you find yourself in the Richmond area you could shadow me on some signings. I'm still fairly new myself, but I'm not green anymore. I know seeing it done can really relax you about the whole process.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.