Notary Rotary
My computer is growling at me...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Charisma_CA on 5/3/05 4:42pm
Msg #35612

No, really. It keeps making a grinding noise (can't be good, right?) and automatically rebooting itself. Any tips? I recently downloaded a SpySweeper program and I'm thinking it may have something to do with it. Thanks in advance.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 5/3/05 4:51pm
Msg #35614

It sounds like it might be a worm or virus... particularly the rebooting itself thing. Have you shut it down completely? You might want to shut it down and leave it for at least 5 minutes, then start it up again. When it's up run your virus checker program.

Reply by Charisma_CA on 5/3/05 4:56pm
Msg #35615

Yeah, tried that. Ran Norton too and it didn't detect anything. I think she may be mad at me for looking at the Dell site. They can be so jealous, you know.

Reply by BACK UP NOW on 5/3/05 4:59pm
Msg #35617

I would do a backup ASAP if you haven't already!

Reply by Teasa/NY on 5/3/05 5:34pm
Msg #35625

I agree with back up. My computer guy told me when the hard drive is crashing it sounds like a buzz saw.

Reply by OnTheGo2 on 5/3/05 8:15pm
Msg #35662

BACK UP NOW IS THE BEST SUGGESTION.

Reply by Philem on 5/3/05 5:56pm
Msg #35628

This is a desktop, I take it?

Sounds like a bad fan on either the CPU or in the power supply. When it starts growling, put your ear down by the case, and try to figure out where the sound is coming from. If it DOESN'T sound like it's coming from RIGHT beside where the power cord plugs in, it's the CPU fan. If it DOES sound like it's coming from right beside the power cord, it's probably the power supply. In any event, once you've found the source of the sound, take it to your local "geekshop," and tell them what's going on, and where you heard the sound. Ask that they ONLY replace the failing fan. These parts are not difficult to replace, nor expensive, but some folks get all woozy when thinking about opening up their computer case.

To explain why I believe this is the cause of your problems: Computers generate a terrible fierce amount of heat. Those two fans (among others, if installed) help to keep things cool. If the CPU gets too hot, it will shut down. If it keeps getting too hot, it will get damaged. Same thing with the power supply: If it's fan stops working, the power supply will shut off. When either the power supply or CPU has a heat-failure shutdown, the computer will reboot, if it can. This is a somewhat serious problem, and should be tended to rather quickly.

As others recommended, make backups of your critical files, and get your ears ready the next time it starts growling.

Good luck!
-Jim

Reply by Charisma_CA on 5/3/05 6:01pm
Msg #35629

It's a laptop. It starts growling spontaneously. The first time it did it was at 3 a.m. while I was asleep and had not touched it since the night before (imagine waking up to THAT). The second time it did it was while I was working on a project. The third time was also very early in the morning. I don't think it's because it's overheating, because wouldn't the computer actually have to be doing something to overheat? Thanks a bunch for your insight!

Reply by Philem on 5/3/05 6:05pm
Msg #35630

On a laptop system, this would tend to indicate a harddrive bearing that is wearing out. This is somewhat bad too, but depending on your laptop model, you may be able to call their tech support number, explain what's going on, and get their view. It may be something indemic with that model laptop that there's an easy fix for.

-Jim

Reply by Charisma_CA on 5/3/05 6:09pm
Msg #35631

Excellent! Thank ya kindly!

Reply by To Jim-Computer Expert on 5/3/05 6:18pm
Msg #35635

Wow , enjoyed your feedback!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.