NNA News
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by B on 5/23/05 6:57am
Msg #39644

NNA News

Signing Service Owners Deny Better Business Bureau's Nonpayment Allegations

By David S. Thun
NSA Now: Issue #38 — May 2005

The co-owner of a Tucson, Arizona, signing service is contesting reports by the local Better Business Bureau that his business is connected to a defunct company that allegedly failed to pay its Notary Signing Agents.
Dennis Schreiber, co-owner of Signature One, said that he and his wife, Lisa, worked as managers for Notary America, which closed down last year. The Better Business Bureau of Southern Arizona published a warning of numerous nonpayment complaints made against Notary America and also issued an alert stating that the company had been revived under the name Signature One.

"Notary America is not doing business as Signature One," Schreiber said. "We were not the owners of that business. We do own Signature One and, to my knowledge, I have not missed any payments. Please bring it to my attention if someone has proof otherwise, and I will pay them."

The Better Business Bureau lists Lisa Schreiber as the principal of Notary America.

Dennis Schreiber said that he and his wife were not responsible for payment problems at Notary America, which he attributed to embezzlement in Notary America's financial department.

"I was not connected to the financial problems," he said, adding that he left the company in June 2004 and that his wife left "a few months later."

J. Carolyn Jacobs, a Notary Signing Agent in Houston, Texas, said that she performed a signing for Notary America on August 25 and repeatedly attempted to collect payment without success before filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

"I never received payment. I can't tell you how many times I was told the check was going to be mailed," Jacobs said.

Deborah Effinger of Joshua Tree, California, said she performed two signings for Notary America last August and that she contacted Notary America several times, with no response. "I left them several messages and did not receive any returned calls. I sent them several invoices and late notices, and there was no response at all," she said.

Tom Collier, president of the Better Business Bureau of Southern Arizona, said that he stands by the accuracy of the BBB's report on the Schreibers, Notary America and Signature One.

"As far as we're concerned, for them to say they are no longer affiliated with a company with complaints against them is preposterous," Collier said. "We have asked them repeatedly to give us proper information in writing. They have declined to provide any other information other than to phone us and tell us that we are wrong."

Reply by Marie on 5/23/05 10:10am
Msg #39655

I received a call from Lisa from Signature One a couple of weeks ago. I had explained to her that I had read the article in the NNA News and that I was leary of working for her. She said that the NNA was going to recant their story because she was not the owner of the other company and just worked for them. I called the NNA to see if they were considering a recant and they couldn't confirm but they said Lisa did call them and that they were looking into it. I decided to take a chance with Lisa because she was very pleasant and seemed sincere. I AM GLAD I TOOK THE CHANCE. I was paid with 2 weeks of closing and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt if it seems right inside. My gut feeling felt right and I made the right choice.

I will do more closings for her.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 5/23/05 1:37pm
Msg #39698

Please feel free to NOT post WHEN you get ripped

I must have read hundreds of posts where SA"s utter the fatal words, I decided to give them a chance. That is your right, but PLEASE do not come back on this board AFTER you get ripped off crying the blues about how they took advantage of you. It is quite easy to look up the Arizona Incorporation that shows Southwest, dba Notary Americas corporate officers as Lisa and Denniss and their minor children benefactors of a blind trust. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is more than likely a DUCK. JMHO

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/23/05 4:11pm
Msg #39782

Re: Please feel free to NOT post WHEN you get ripped

Oh my now where so we go to went then . Smiley

Reply by WINotaryGal on 5/23/05 4:20pm
Msg #39790

Re: Nice Lisa in sheeps clothing

Lisa was very nice to me when she repeatedly promised to pay me for completed signings. She was especially nice while she apologizing profusely for non payment. She was sooo nice, she even went so far as to give me a check number for a check she was sending out immediately. Somehow, her niceness didn't result in payment. Out of four jobs I completed for Lisa Schrieber, I was paid for one. I called her at Signature One to inquire about payment.......she wasn't so nice..... I plan to help Signature One become Signature None.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 5/23/05 4:35pm
Msg #39797

I thought about the possibility that she might be tooting

her own horn, and tried to goad her into outing herself. Hey if it is her, she now has the Lisa Marie thing, if she adds Presley, maybe she starts selling share in Graceland:-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.