Notary Rotary
New York Time Warner Road Runner Users
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Teasa/NY on 5/14/05 11:00am
Msg #37765

I use the road runner service. Is anyone using their phone service? It seems much more reasonable than the land line, but I am afraid to switch. Some users talk of calls going dead in middle of conversations, that the equiptment is junk? and that the fax is not perfected? I guess the biggest drawback is if the power goes out you have no phone or fax service. Although we do have our cells, I guess the worst case is no faxes can get in. I'm an old dog and I guess I just cannot imagine life without Alexander G. Bell. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/14/05 1:21pm
Msg #37794

Time Warner/RR is my service provider as well and I've been experimenting with Vonage which is VoIP so very similar to what RR is offering but cheaper. Vonage is ~$15/mo for 500 min. and ~$30/mo for unlimited and this is anywhere in US.
I have been having some problems with sending a fax but their support has been helpful and I have always gotten the job done.

I also have Maxemail for receiving faxes. This comes in as a pdf and I print on my Laserjet.

But your right if the power goes or RR is out no fax and no edocs so it is off to Kinkos...

I will give this another week or two and then decide but then I have a 2nd phone line to fall back on.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 5/14/05 1:26pm
Msg #37796

Thanks. I guess I will eventually take the plunge and wait a period before yanking the land line.

Reply by Cyn_NY on 5/14/05 3:22pm
Msg #37827

When I got optimum voice, the installer suggested getting a back up battery. Just a thought.

Reply by John / FL on 5/14/05 3:43pm
Msg #37828

I have Vonage and love it. The voice quality is slightly less than a landline, but the cost savings makes it well worth it. For $30/mo, I can call anywhere in the US or Canada...regardless of the time. The savings on faxes alone makes this worthwhile for me.

As far as not having the fax when the power goes out, you won't have it anyway...the fax machine runs on electricity. I suppose it is concievable to buy a battery backup, for short term power outages, but I haven't ever felt a need.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.