Notary Rotary
Notarizing Books
Notary Discussion History

Notarizing Books
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Lisa/WI on 5/24/05 8:27am
Msg #39973

Notarizing Books

In my efforts to do a better job, I would like to aquire a library of reference books for notarizing. Its easy to find the books on the internet, but its not easy to determine what the book contains and even if it has what a person is looking for. I am looking for opinions on reference materials that others have gotten. Looking for books that contain mostly facts and how to's just on notarizing without a lot of hype. Unfortunately, my library here doesnt offer much and we are short on book stores also. If anyone would like to help me I would really appreciate it.
TIA
Lisa

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/24/05 9:18am
Msg #39984

One of the best books is "Notary Public Handbook - Principles, Practices & Cases", National Edition, by Alfred E. Piombino. It is available in most book outlets (Barnes & Noble, Books a Million, etc. both brick&mortar and online). It is cataloged under Reference/Law. ISDN: 0-944560-69-5

Reply by Lisa/WI on 5/24/05 10:21am
Msg #40000

Thanks PAW. I saw that book and it was on my list of possibilities.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/24/05 10:51am
Msg #40015

Lisa
That is the book I turn to most when I need to know something. You won't regret buying it.
You can also buy it through this link:

http://www.notarypubliclaw.com/nphppc.shtml

Reply by Katie on 5/24/05 1:04pm
Msg #40058

Thanks Paul

I just ordered it from Amazon.com. Would you recommend any others?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/24/05 1:52pm
Msg #40073

Re: Thanks Paul

There are only three publications that I urge all my students to get, read, and refer to:

The Florida Governor's Manual for Notaries (or your own state's manual)
Piombino's book
The Signing Registry Professional Skills Training Guide (for the SA part of our job)

One other book may be helpful and that's Piombino's State Editions.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 5/24/05 3:30pm
Msg #40110

I have Piombino's book _Notary Public Handbook: A Guide for Vermont_ , 1996. Although I found it quite helpful, I felt it was not fully customized for Vermont. For example, it the examples of acknowledgements, it provides a space for the serial number of the notary's commission, even though Vermont notary commissions do not have serial numbers. Another example is a statement on page 101, "Vermont Law does not grant authority to a Vermont notary public to perform a prof of execution" followed by two pages of information on how prepare a proof of execution.

Reply by jojo_MN on 5/24/05 11:03am
Msg #40020

You could also try the National Notary Association. Their Notary Signing Agent Cetification Course has a lot of examples in it and explains where to sign. When I started this business, I didn't have any idea there were forums such as this one, so I was totally on my own to learn how to sign documents. I don't care for how the NNA is constantly pushing their products; however, I found this book to be very beneficial.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/25/05 11:00am
Msg #40294

Don't bother with these; they're a waste of money.

The "No Can Do" series from the NNA. They have the NNA's usual California-centric view, and state things that will not apply to your state. It is a good concept: An authoritative text with good quality printing, convenient format (spiral binding that lays flat), and easy-to-understand language. Unfortunately, there are so many exceptions that its PRACTICAL use is limited.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.