Notary Rotary
OT - Illegal immigrants and in state tuition
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 5/2/05 7:55am
Msg #35255

Heard a conversation on the radio the other day re this subject. Apparently, several (7?) states charge illegal immigrants in state tuition rates for higher education.

Now the kicker....

There is a federal law that states that if a state gives instate tuition rates to illegal immigrants, they MUST charge the same rate to ALL students regardless of residency.

soooo... check out the states affected. .... If you have a daughter/son paying out of state tuition rates.... you are being robbed in violation of federal law... get a refund!!!!

Art

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/2/05 11:19am
Msg #35284

do my eyes decieve me? did that say illegal immigrants? if they are illegal then they should be deported.... I have no sympathy for illegal immigration.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/2/05 12:34pm
Msg #35314

Should is the word Shara. But if there is money to be made as cheep labour or tuition fees??? You can not go to any other contry and work or live without the propper papers. Imigration laws are strict for leagal imigrants ( I am one ). I went through a fbi background check had to proove my education and have copy's of medical records on and on. It is amazing what goes on.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/2/05 1:48pm
Msg #35331

It is absolutely astonishing that we put legal immigrants thru the ringer to come to our country and at the same time we don't secure the borders where in many areas the illegals are streaming thru. I think it's a big slap in the face to those who go thru all the steps to become legal immigrants.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/2/05 5:17pm
Msg #35373

WELL... accctuually

its a bit more complicated than that. the states i have heard of are actually allowing children of immigrants who are taking the steps to become legal (and because they were born in the US the children are actually citizens) to get in-state tuition. previously the child was a US citizen but residency was determined by parents but since they were not *yet* citizens (they were taking the legal steps though) they were being charged out of state rates.

on many immigration issues I am more hardline, but this particular issue has been twisted a bit.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.