Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Old?! Jurat on Affidavit of Support (I-864)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by notary_donald on 5/26/05 7:37pm
Msg #40659

I was given an Affidavit of Support to notarize this afternoon. I notice the jurat imprinted on it does not have updated wording as required by the State of California starting Jan 2005.

Since the document is to file to USCIS (formerly INS), a federal agency, I'd like to know if the new California version Jurat is required. The way I handle this is: I sign and stamp on the orignial (old) Jurat and at the same time attached, sign and stamp as well, a loose 2005 version on top of it. I believe there should be a better way to do it.

Could anyone please help this newbie out?

Donald

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 5/26/05 7:45pm
Msg #40661

Well, I would cross out what is on the I-864 and use my NotaryRotary Jurat Stamp with the correct wording, fill that out and stamp my seal. If there is not enough room, then I would cross out what is on the form, note to see attached loose CA Jurat (which has the correct version), fill that out, notarize it and staple it to the back of the form.

Reply by notary_donald on 5/26/05 9:06pm
Msg #40692

Thanks for your reply BarbaraL_CA.

But since it's a document belonging to a federal agency, it would be OK for notaries in another state, which does not require Jurats to have the signer identified, to go ahead and use the notarial wordings printed on it. So the INS will receive documents having different notarial certificates based on the state the document is notarized. This is the part that confuses me.

Donald

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/26/05 9:44pm
Msg #40707

Yes - the INS (along with the thousands of other entities) will receive documents having different notarial certificates based on the state the document is notarized.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 5/27/05 12:30am
Msg #40737

Page 16 of the CA notary Handbook states:
"Any jurat taken within this state shall be in the following form:
State of California
County of ________________
Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on this _____ day of _______, 20__,
by _______________________, personally known to me or proved to me on the basis
of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me.
NOTARY PUBLIC SIGNATURE NOTARY PUBLIC SEAL"

The key here is ANY JURAT TAKEN WITHIN THIS STATE....

As a CA notary you should always follow CA notary law.

Reply by I agree... on 5/27/05 1:59am
Msg #40745

Like Barbara said, we are in CA, we have to follow CA law. I actually just applied and went through the whole nine yard on the I 864 to be a resident here. You CAN NOT cross anything out on a federal form regardless. You should stampt the jurat stamp on there.

Reply by notary_donald on 5/27/05 2:14pm
Msg #40840

Thanks for pointing this out. This should answer all the questions.

Donald

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.