Notary Rotary
One of those days...
Notary Discussion History

One of those days...
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Tee FL on 5/26/05 6:29pm
Msg #40641

One of those days...

Had a 7pm closing, via e-docs well those printed out just fine and got faxes as well, then the date is for the 25th let the title co know i had to date for todays date... cannot back date.. fine..... ok.. the signing is about 45 minutes away from my house not including horrible traffic. Less than an hour before the signing the title co called stated borrowers cancelled did not want to do it . I let the TC know i would be charging a trip charge and for all of the printing, mileage etc... whoah what a day..... Just another day in the Notary Signing Agent Neighborhood! HAHAHA have a great night all.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/26/05 6:46pm
Msg #40647

Well poor your self a margarita and sit back and watch the world go by and just think about all them folks out there stuck in traffic .lol Smiley

Reply by nika_fl on 5/26/05 8:45pm
Msg #40685

Nooo..your day is nothing compared to my day.. On Wednesday night i get a call from a signing service askin me to do a closing at 7p.m on thursday. So since i am a newbie, I was excited about the opportunity. I agree to the fee of 75 dollars for the signing because the docs were SUPPOSEDLY gonna be sent to me overnight... I wasnt at home during the day so i call home to make sure that the docs were there.. they weren't! so I call the company and i asked where the docs were and they informed me that it was a frst and a second mortgage..Turns out i have to do e-docs! The girl never mentioned that when she called me and he informed me that it just happened..So in my mind i was like well "when were you gonna call me?" The docs were emailed to me and then i was informed that there would be another 30 more comin for each of the packages which were already 113 pages and 93 pages..I used so much paper and so much ink that i started to become upset like i was being cheated. I get to the borrower's house elderly NICE PEOPLE. They asked me if i knew how there money was goin to be disbursed and when they would get it, etc... So Dun dun dun.... she called her LO and asked him a question and she wasnt understanding the question so she put me on the phone. I greet him with a hello, How are you and he replied Good.. He then precedes to yell and say to me that i do closings for a living but i cant ready settlement statement... and he repeats it over and over.. (Coming from my day job i had no time to look over the paper work and i thought we werent supposed to give advice anyways) He also says i am gonna find out who hired you and you are never gonna do closings for us again and you are representing my company and you cant ready settlement statement.. From the moment i got on the phone he was yelling at me.. I preceded nicely tellin him that this is a first and a second and there is alot of paperwork in from of me, all the while he is still yelling, i could get a word in. I dont think he took me seriously cause of my baby voice. I lost my cool the number one thing I know i wasnt supposed to do and i got upset in front of the borrowers.. i told him that he could get the docs redrawn and have somebody else come close it for him... I felt this was the right decision because elderly borrowers have alot of questions and we would have to call him more than one time and i didnt want to deal with his attitude! HAVE THINGS CHANGED DO WE NEED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM THE BORROWERS?? Maybe i need a refresher on the responsibilities of a signing agent..I have always had loan officers welcome questions from their borrowers.. I forgot to think of the borrowers and what this meant to them.. and i packed up my stuff and called the signing service and told them of my horrible ordeal.. They apologized and agreed to pay me double the fee for me to go back out tomorrow and meet with the same people again! Minus the Loan officer from H-E- double hockey sticks! LOL...But i still feel so bad can it get any worse??

Reply by Tee Fl on 5/26/05 8:56pm
Msg #40687

Hey I feel your pain darlin,..... Keep your spirits high don't let em get ya down! I know believe me i know how frustrating it can get. Glad you are getting more money out of it. Yeah i know about ss telling ya there are about 88 pages for one then boom turns into more like 120 or more... Gotta laugh to keep from cryin sometimes...... Take care wish you well.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/26/05 8:56pm
Msg #40688

Yes, it can get worse. And will.

No, we still aren't allowed to give legal advice.

Yes, SOME of the borrower's questions you should know how to answer. Knowing which you are allowed to answer is the hard part.

No, you can't tell them when they're going to get their money. The farthest you can go is to tell them that you cant tell them but the absolute earliest would be the day after the RTC expired. And then tell them again that you don't know. Then tell them only their LO cantell them. Then tell them again you can't tell them.

Yes, you should not have left the signing table so abruptly. You put the borrowers in jeopardy.

Yes, for $75 for a first and second for edocs you are getting hosed. You'll be sure to add $$ for edocs next time, and $$ more for a piggyback.

Reply by TEE Fl on 5/26/05 8:58pm
Msg #40689

Well put Ernest_CT.

Reply by nika_fl on 5/27/05 6:42am
Msg #40751

Yes I know, I put the borrowers in a bad situation!! I feel so bad about everything, the lo caught me off gaurd snd was so incredibly rude. He talked to me in a way that was uncalled for. He must not know that you should be careful how you talk to people cause what you say can push them over the edge or keep someone from leaping.. thanks for all of the advice. Maybe you could give me some examples of what kind of questions i should answer...I am going back today and hopefully it will run smoothly. I will let you guys know how it went.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/27/05 9:44am
Msg #40765

***what kind of questions i should answer***

You should be able to answer any "what and where" questions. For example: Where is the rate on the loan? What is my last day to cancel?

You can never answer "WHY" questions? Why is my payoff so high? Why isn't my appraisal for more money, etc.

Hope that make sense - I'm exhausted! But in a good way.

Reply by nika_fl on 5/27/05 10:36am
Msg #40778

That i can do! thanks for your help.. I will keep that in mind..I am not tryin to be smart but isnt it better not to answer any questions to keep out of trouble.. Arent the borrowers supposed to receive some docs to look over before the signing which are pretty much like the package i bring?? And they get to look through them again as we go through with the signing of each page.. I think of my self as the person who just collects and witnesses the signatures and the Lo is supposed to be truthful and upfront when explaining the process to the borrowers.. Maybe i am mistaken though.. If not set me straight! I need to be taught some lessons. Its sorta hard to keep up with every company's packages and the different docs they use.. i know the basic ones though

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/27/05 11:55am
Msg #40808

Re: Signing Agent vs. Notary Public

From my experience - whoo hoo 20, count them 20 loans - I have only had two packages sent to me in advance. All of the others were e-docs and they all had last minute changes to the HUD. There is no guarantee that even if the borrowers did get some of the papers in advance that they would look them over before you get there.

If you were only a Notary Public then I'd agree that you're "the person who just collects and witnesses the signatures". As a SA you need to be able to point out key information to the borrower - the rate, loan amount, etc. You do NOT explain the documents to them, but identify what they are signing.

I learned how to do this from the scripts supplied by The Signing Registry. Along with reading all of the posts here, I found their book to be an excellent learning tool.

Reply by nika_fl on 5/27/05 9:49am
Msg #40767

Hey guys hope everything is well with all of you! The title company decided and insisted that they wanted a different notary other than me..so i wont be goin back out to the borrowers today.. The man that i spoke with last night that was rude to me was not the lo it turned out to be his boss! what a nightmare. He was awful! He accused me of not knowing what the hud was and i guess convinced everyone else the same. The man never let me get a word in during our conversation so how does he know what i know.. But i am not gonna worry about it.. The manager of the signing service that says that the situation is in no way a reflection of me.. and that they will call me for other signings... SO on to the next signing!

Reply by So sorry to be the one to.... on 5/27/05 10:05am
Msg #40769

tell you but if your errors cause the loan NOT to fund, & the Borrowers lose their rate lock, YOU CAN BE SUED! And your E & O Insurance/State Bond will not protect you! Sounds like you need some more training before you attempt another signing. And it shouldn't be ON THE JOB Training on unsuspecting Borrowers that expect a Professional who knows what they are doing BEFORE they accept the assignment. JMHO.

Reply by Bill/CA on 5/27/05 10:11am
Msg #40770

What area are you in, NEENACH ?

Reply by nika_fl on 5/27/05 10:39am
Msg #40780

What is neenach??

Reply by nika_fl on 5/27/05 10:46am
Msg #40783

I know what i am doin... i made no errors! i dont deserve to be spoken to like that! I didnt call him to ask him any questions.. his borrowers did! He had no reason to talk to rant and rave the way he did..

Reply by Simone E. Lewis on 5/27/05 8:38pm
Msg #40901

Re: Dangerous what is out there

"He then precedes to yell and say to me that i do closings for a living but i cant ready settlement statement... and he repeats it over and over.."

I am with the lender or his boss on this one. If you look on the top of the Settlement Statement also called a HUD, there is a DISBURSEMENT DATE. If you couldn't point that out to the borrower, my opinion is you don't know what you are doing. $75.00 for 2 sets of e-mailed docs. no reputable Signing Agent will work for that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.