Notary Rotary
Paper Curling...
Notary Discussion History

Paper Curling...
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Cherilyn Clark on 5/20/05 9:18am
Msg #39215

Paper Curling...

My paper is curling. Why? I read on GMN that I'm either using cheap paper or I'm loading it the wrong way. How can you tell if you're loading it the wrong way? And what pound of paper do you use? My printer is the Brother HL 5140.

Any suggestions?

Reply by Peaches on 5/20/05 9:30am
Msg #39217

I was having the same problem a lot of the time until I read the post on GMN. I use Office Depot 20#. It opens from the bottom, so when I take it out of the pack I turn it over so it prints on the top side and I don't have the curling anymore. Hope this helps!

Reply by Art_MD on 5/20/05 9:30am
Msg #39218

What type of paper are you using ? Brand, weight, if recycle - % recycle?
Have you changed paper and just have this occur?
Is printing OK ?

Art

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 5/20/05 10:11am
Msg #39232

Hmmm...

I'm now thinking that it's just been happening since I opened a new ream. I buy the same paper all of the time as my Office Depot has a limited supply of legal. I'm wondering if I opened it wrong and am loading it differently?

Reply by Art_MD on 5/20/05 10:23am
Msg #39237

Re: simple test

Run a couple of pages thru the printer.
Flip the paper in the drawer and run a few more.

Check results. Let us know.

Art

Reply by Mike/NJ on 5/20/05 10:46am
Msg #39242

Re: simple test

My HP printer has a less curl option..works ok.

Reply by Jen-CA on 5/20/05 10:54am
Msg #39249

Believe it or not, there is a correct side of the paper that should "face up" in your paper tray. Look at the end of the ream of paper before you open it, there is usually a small arrow, whichever way that arrow is pointing is the side of the paper that should be put in face up. This also holds true for putting paper in copy machines, we kept having paper jams and come to find out it was because we were putting the paper in wrong side up! No we check and don't have nearly as many paper jams. The paper must be "lubricated???" or something to make it go through machines better?? Beats me, but it works!

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 5/20/05 10:59am
Msg #39252

Does it depend on what way the paper feeds?

Because I print checks from this printer also. The checks have to be face down and towards the front in order to print correctly.

So I'm wondering if I would put the paper in upsidedown?

Reply by Jen-CA on 5/20/05 11:01am
Msg #39255

Re: Does it depend on what way the paper feeds?

That makes sense, it would depend on how your printer feeds.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/20/05 11:25am
Msg #39265

The arrow, if it is there, should point to the printing side of the paper. So if you printer pulls paper from the bottom front and spits it out on the top front, the paper probably follows a "C" path with the printing on the top of the paper as fed in so it stacks, face down in the output bin on top.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 6/27/05 3:59pm
Msg #48234

Apologies for not posting sooner, but just "found" this board and forum.

Believe it or not, there is a wrong and right way to load paper. And I could never tell which way with the arrows. A Xerox rep showed me this trick in a "previous life".

Take a few sheets out, and dangle them between your thumb and first two fingers. You should see a ever so slight curl to the paper. The printer needs to pull in the direction of the curl, meaning the paper should be placed in your printer so the curl is on top. Think of it as going with the grain instead of against.

Keep in mind two, that humidity affects paper and how it reacts in a printer.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/27/05 4:06pm
Msg #48236

Keep in mind this is also printer dependent. It depends on whether the printer prints on the top of the paper or the bottom of the sheet as it is fed from the feeder. Some printers "flip" the paper as it passes through the printer before it spews it out into the output bin.

The best way is simply to test about 5 sheets of "face up" and 5 sheets "face down". Just remember how to take them out of the package so you'll know which way to load them into the tray the next time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.