Notary Rotary
RE: Signing in Nursing home with no ID
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by stamper_WI on 5/20/05 10:24pm
Msg #39436

Thought you'd like to know what the Dept of Secretary of the State of WI had to say about it.

While Sec. 706.07 of the state statutes does provide samples of various "short forms" for notarizations, 3rd party affidavit is not extant therein.

I suggest contacting a notary form source, such as the National Notary Association www.nationalnotary.org/ , or consulting an attorney. Consultation with an attorney would also provide a measure of support for appropriate procedure, and lessen chances of challenge later.

Best Regards,

Reply by You gotta be kidding on 5/20/05 11:24pm
Msg #39449

Still laughing

They want the NNA to set their guide lines?

And while we are at it , B of A could run the Treasury Dept.

And Bayer and Mc Donald's, could run Food and Drug Administration.

And H and R Block could run the IRS.

And while we are at it we could have an actor play the president. OH, we did that didn't we.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/20/05 11:38pm
Msg #39453

Re: Not funny.

Don't kid yourself. It WILL happen. (Actually, from the original post--IT IS HAPPENING!)
Ask any real estate broker about the Realtor's Assoc.~~which started out the same way the NNA has.

Reply by gotta be kidding on 5/21/05 12:04am
Msg #39461

I think it is.

Lighten up, sometimes something so ridiculous, which this is, will strikes someone funny.

Now you are talking about AR Realtor's Assoc, not all of the states. I've own home on both the east and west coast, lots of difference in the laws.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/21/05 10:29am
Msg #39504

Actually, I was talking about WI

And suggest that you save this and re-read it when it happens. I do understand the post. And, yes, I hear the joke. Problem is that it may not always be a joke.

Reply by kim_nj on 5/21/05 6:24am
Msg #39490

Re: Still laughing

I got a similar response to a different question when calling the NJ notary division. Actually the response was "We are not attorneys, call this number.....they can help you" The number was the NNA.

Reply by Melody on 5/21/05 1:43am
Msg #39472

SoS response is revolting.

But you bring up a serious question:
How do we deal with expired IDs for the elderly?

Some states (like California) have credible witness regulations that are workable.

But other states, like MINE, are very hard to use.

The docs the elderly need notarized are often urgent. Powers of Attorney for Health Care Decisions to be signed right before major surgery is a good example. We notaries want to be helpful but we must follow the rules or we invalidate the notarization of the document.

Please check your own state's laws about using witnesses to establish ID. This can be very shakey ground.

Reply by stamper_WI on 5/23/05 6:34pm
Msg #39839

Think I'll call my congessman...give him something to do

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.