Notary Rotary
Ramifications for us re- new driver's license requirements
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by SamIam_CA on 5/3/05 9:57pm
Msg #35682

This is an excerpt from a story on MSN about proposed changes on driver's license applications...

"Under the legislation, Americans applying for driver’s licenses would have to bring far more information with them to motor vehicle offices. They would be asked to show birth certificates, a photo ID, proof of their Social Security number and a document with full name and home address, according to a copy of the bill obtained by The Associated Press. It was unclear how the legislation would affect the renewal of licenses for citizens.
Motor vehicle departments would be required to verify the documents and the Social Security numbers. States still could give licenses to illegal immigrants, but they would have different designs or colors to alert security officers that they are unacceptable as IDs for boarding planes or entering federal buildings."

If this does go thru - I wonder how it will effect our use of driver's licenses as a form of ID? For example - just imagine if we had to provide color copies of the borrowers DL to show they are not illegal immigrants. Or better - maybe it will put an end to those sill patriot act forms we have to fill out since the DMV will be doing that if this bill passes...

Any other thoughts? Can you tell I have zero signings today and tomorrow :(

Reply by Melody on 5/4/05 12:21am
Msg #35700

Whew!

This is asking a lot of the driver license agencies. I predict a huge mess!

On the positive side, this will create a lot of work for us! Requests for birth certificates via mail usually require that the requesting letter be notarized.

An added factor: US/Canada border crossings will start requiring a passport starting in 2010. Since a birth certificate is required for a passport application, this will also send work our way.

Bone up on your state's requirements!

Reply by Anonymous on 5/4/05 1:15am
Msg #35704

Melody...Questions...

You said: Bone up on your state's requirements!

What requirements?
What's this about birth certificates?
Do I need my birth certificate?
Where can I get it?
Do I need it for notary work?
What do you plan to ask of all the driver license agencies?
Your post does NOT make sense.
Can you please post all the people you do business with, also...how old will you be in 2010?
Isn't that too old to be a notary?
Why are you talking about age and birth certificates?
Why do I have to apply for a passport?

As other things come to mind, I will let you know.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/4/05 4:38am
Msg #35705

TN - anyone see the DL for "undocumented" people ?

I read an article that said 22,000 DLs have been issued by TN that are different from the norm in that they are printed vertically instead of horizontally. The article said these are issued to people who's ID couldn't be verified (or something to that effect). Supposedly these are not accepted as ID by U S government agencies. I'll try and find the article and post it.
Are they acceptable to SAs ?

Art

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/4/05 7:57am
Msg #35708

Virginia already does this. It is a bit more trouble, but I thought it was ok.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/4/05 8:01am
Msg #35710

Re: Ramifications for us re- new driver's license requiremen

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Wed., Apr. 6, 2005), the passport requirement will in place "by 2008" for motorists entering the US from Canada, Mexico, Carri bean, etc.

You can read the news article at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/218996_passport06.html

I don't see why you call the Patriot Act "silly". As far as I'm concerned it didn't go far enough in providing proof of identity (as well as lots of other things) to safeguard America. My major objection to the wording in the Patriot Act is that there are required "end results" that financial institutions must meet (in the identity of applicants), but the methods are up to each individual institution to establish in their own CIP.

Most, if not all, states allow the use of a state issued driver's license as ID. However, as we well know, there is no conformity in the issuing of that ID, thus the stronger, federalized, measures being proposed. This will not lessen our ability to deter fraud (one of the precepts for a Notary Public), but enhance our capability. We rely on the mandated ID, but if the ID is susceptible to fraud, there's not much we can do.

As for us having to provide copies of DL's - We are charged, as part of our notarial duties, to positively identify the signers. A standard form, such as the Patriot Act ID compliance form is a way that allows the lender to determine that proper ID was presented to the Notary. It should be part of their (the Notary's) official duties. (This may require some states to modify or enhance their current notary laws to allow notaries to certify ID information.) Financial institutions must then rely on the certification by the notary.

Of course, this raises the other issue in that many notaries do not take their duties and responsibilities seriously. Notary laws must be tightened in all states and enforced. But this is a subject for another time/thread.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/4/05 10:29am
Msg #35744

CA already verifying Social Security info.

at least birth date.
I know this because when my license came up for renewal in Dec. I renewed on line. At least I thought I did but when Jan. rolled around and no license I called and was told that I should have received a letter to the effect that they could not renew until my birth date matched what SS had which was incorrect.

I had a certified copy of my birth certificate overnighted to me and went to the local SS office. Waited in line for over an hour and then was told they would make a copy and send it to their NJ office to be "verified". and no, it would not go electronically they would mail it...

They had to do this as I was requesting a change to my birth date. Yes indeed I was and the effect would be to delay my eligibility by 2 years. This must obviously be some new scheme to defraud Social Security I just can't figure out how it would work.

After innumerable calls to the SS toll free number and 2 more visits to the local office, each with the obligatory hour plus wait they finally fixed the problem in April NOT because the NJ office verified anything but because a supervisor in the local office decided that 3+ months was too long to make some one wait even for SS and so I finally received my renewed DL yesterday.

There, I'm done ranting and I feel better.

I do agree with Paul that we need stronger ID requirements and that federal standards or guidelines are necessary.

Reply by missy_socal on 5/4/05 10:47am
Msg #35747

Re: CA already verifying Social Security info.

My drivers license is up for renewal this month, and it's the first time since I've had it that it didn't automatically renew. I have to actually make an appointment at the DMV, and go in personally.
I don't mind too much, even with the prospect of facing the crowds at the DMV, but I really don't want to re-take my picture! I managed to get a halfway decent one several years ago, and I hate to waste it! (a DMV picture where I don't look like a scared convict is a rarity, and you know that lightening doesn't strick twice like that).

I wonder if they're tightening up their policies with renewals in CA?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/4/05 2:15pm
Msg #35775

Re: Ramifications for us - patriot act

***I don't see why you call the Patriot Act "silly". ***

I think the ID form that we fill out as a Patriot Act requirement is silly. 1st let me say that I was in the USAF for four years and worked in the intel field. I'm pretty sure that every single one of the hijackers had either passports and/or driver's licenses and/or social security cards.

As a notary I have received exactly zero government training on how to verify if ID presented to me is a forgery or counterfeit. I think that if the burden of proof (of citizenship) was in the hands of the DMV that would be better since (I assume) they will be trained on the identifying documents that will need to be presented to receive their DL.

I hope that made sense. I'm having trouble verbalizing today!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.