Notary Rotary
Registering with Signing Services & Identity theft
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Afren_NY on 5/29/05 7:57pm
Msg #41154

Thank you to all of you who responded to my previous post about starting business.
As per your advice, I'm registering with all possible Signing Servises. However, all of them require a lot of personal information such us SS#, driver license #, notary license #,ect.
I did not see any secure page signs. Is it safe to give this info over the web?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/29/05 8:02pm
Msg #41155

I would not give out any info on an unsecure site. And I would never give them anything but my commission number and EIN (always get an EIN from the IRS website and use that instead of your SSN)

Reply by The Rose/IN on 5/29/05 8:22pm
Msg #41157

Sylvia is 100% correct, they have no business with that information. For those sites that won't let you register without that information you can email them that you wish to be included on their list but you can not supply that information or you can just move on to the next site .

Reply by jason_AL on 5/29/05 10:08pm
Msg #41163

In my opinion, SS would only need your notary expiration date, and notary certificate to make sure you are a notary, and a w9 for income tax purposes. They may want you to sign their subcontractor aggreement, as far as website being not secure, I wouldnt sent it, I would however, mail it or fax it. Driver's license numbers, I just dont see them needing that, and if they really pushed the issue, I would just move on, there seems to be many SS starting up, and many closing their doors.

Reply by Mike-CentralCa on 5/29/05 10:45pm
Msg #41166

You should remind them that you are an independant contractor. You do not transport clients, so Dr. Lic/Drivers Insurance is not their problem. I might give them proof of my bond, even E&O, but that's it.

Reply by christi/socal on 5/29/05 11:14pm
Msg #41168

I got my ein (very easy and quick btw) and I do send them a copy of my dl and insurance, but with all numbers blacked out. They can see I have what is needed, but they have no business knowing my numbers!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/30/05 8:23am
Msg #41179

>>> a copy of my dl and insurance, but with all numbers blacked out. They can see I have what is needed, <<<

I suggest that most services have no clue of "what is needed" when if comes to vehicle insurance. Insurance requirements are set by each state and apply to each individual driver. Heck, some states don't even require insurance! In my opinion, and that of my former attorney consultant, there is absolutely no need for the hiring agency to have your DL or vehicle insurance information. And if they reply that it is "for identification" purposes, how would they begin to know it is 'your' license you provided? Let's face it, we as notaries, cannot accept a faxed or xeroxed copy of a license for obvious reasons, so too they should not.

To view my DL, please point your browser to -> http://tinyurl.com/cwhqy

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/30/05 8:47am
Msg #41182

Come now PAW, you know that license is only valid in states with "the Terminator" for a Governor. Smiley

Reply by christi/socal on 5/30/05 9:28pm
Msg #41249

love your "ID" PAW! n/m

Reply by linda/ca on 7/10/05 12:54am
Msg #50817

This is hilarious......I can't stop laughing!

Thanks for sharing!

Reply by Joel in CT on 5/30/05 10:57am
Msg #41191

I have a cover letter and "terms of service" sheet that I mail and fax to any company with which I am registering. It includes all of the data that is usually requested, and a big bold notice that private information including notary commission, E&O Insurance, EIN and similar identifying stuff will be sent upon assignment of a signing.

This tells them professionally that I am infact insured, have a SSN/EIN, notary commission etc. and just as with any other business transaction (I run another full time business) I will gladly give them necessary info WHEN WE ACTUALLY TRANSACT BUSINESS.

I also include some basic terms of payment, collection policy, travel fees, e-doc fees, error (theirs) fees and cancellation time frames. I also make it clear that I do not provide blank acks, "sample" seals or signatures or the like.

No SS or TC has given me flak over this.... business is business. If you look like a moron with a notary seal, you will get treated as such. If you act like a professional, you often will get treated as one.

Afren_NY - -Great thread!

Joel

Reply by James AL on 5/30/05 3:15pm
Msg #41222

Hi Joel, Would you mind if I looked at your cover letter and terms of service. This is an awesome idea.

Reply by Joel CT on 7/9/05 7:33pm
Msg #50802

Cover Letter

Tagey, I shall send you a copy, thanks for your request.

James AL, if you post your email, I will gladly send you a copy.

Joel

Reply by TAgey_VA on 6/10/05 5:24pm
Msg #43875

Joel,

Would you mind sharing the cover letter and terms of service? I this may be asking too much, but I would like to address this issue as professional as possible.

Thank you

Tonja
[e-mail address]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.