Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Sex Offender: Acknowledgment of Whereabouts???
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by IPS on 5/18/05 7:43pm
Msg #38848

Hello,

I have been asked to go to the 23 registered sex offender's home addresses, as depicted on their sex offender registry information, for my town.

I am suppose to acknowledge under my hand and seal that the sex offender's address is the same as reported on their registry information. My town has 23 Level 2's and 3's (in all). Sadly, the level 1's aren't publicly accessible.

Here's an example of what I have to do: John Doe, a sex offender registered with the town police alledgedly resides at 123 Main Street in my town. I have to go knocking on that door and verify, by viewing the sex offender, that the offender lives there.

Has anybody ever done this? This is a first time for me. I'm kind of nervous because most of them are violent people. Especially the level 3's. The town is going to pay me $50.00 for each acknowledgment I take. (23 x 50 = $1150). Is the risk worth it? I figure that it will take me at least 6 hours to visit every offender.

The money sounds good just for appearing on their door step and making sure they are there. I don't really have to check there ID's because I have all the sex offender flyers that contain there picture and Identification information.

What would you do? Any expierence's or information relating to this will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/18/05 8:08pm
Msg #38865

You don't say whether you're a man or woman. I hope you're a big guy. It will probably be OK... they don't know why you're there; you just need to 'see' them; not ask questions, get anything signed. But, understand, these people really do have a rough row to hoe and can get quite hyper. Be careful, be aware, carry pepper spray & wear your track shoes. What I have to wonder is WHY DON'T THEY SEND A COP???? OK, discreet... a plains clothes police man.

Reply by Donna CA on 5/18/05 8:42pm
Msg #38888

What state are you in?

Reply by Roberta/CA on 5/18/05 8:42pm
Msg #38887

How are you going to properly identify and acknowledge and then seal without checking some type of i.d.???
Just curious

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/18/05 8:49pm
Msg #38890

I am more curious as to how she/he can put her/his seal on a document that she is signing!

Reply by laura_nh on 5/18/05 8:54pm
Msg #38893

coming from a prosecutors background, I guess my question would be, why isnt their parole/probation officer checking to see their where abouts?

Reply by DMARTZ on 5/18/05 10:05pm
Msg #38909

As being a Private investigator we are hired by the parole/probation office to do this as a sub-contractor, but i have never heard of anyone sending a notary. you could very well run into problems with this kind of work.

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/18/05 10:34pm
Msg #38915

As a woman, I definately would not touch this assignment with a ten foot pole! God only knows what would happen! I don't think I would want to stand face to face with a sex offender for any amount of money. I don't think I could stand it after reading what they have been convicted of. When you go to the CA Meganslaw website, you can view their crimes and most always they involve children. It's disgusting! I would want to spit in their face!

Reply by Becca/FL on 5/18/05 11:27pm
Msg #38924

IMHO, not a job for a NP. Sounds like a job for the PO, SO or PD.

In Florida, law officers may act as Notaries as far as taking a sworn statement, even if they are not an appointed Notary.

No firearm license = No knocking on convicted felons doors, for me anyway.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/19/05 12:24am
Msg #38933

Re: I think someone is pulling our leg ?????

Reply by DMARTZ on 5/19/05 1:01am
Msg #38938

Re: I think someone is pulling our leg ?????

I do know that whatever town is paying this Notary to do this they are way underpaid for the task for which they are being asked to do.

Reply by John / FL on 5/19/05 2:02am
Msg #38939

Ok...so, in a post a day or two back, I highly reccomended a notary not carrying a gun. I stand by that. However, this is something I would consider to be an exception to the rule. As a former police officer, I wouldn't touch the assignment w/o being armed.

However, I will emphasize the need for appropriate training before ever carrying a handgun.

This is an assignment that should be carried out by the county sheriff's office/city police dept./state police. Strictly from a taxpayer standpoint, it is unreasonable for the govt. to pay $50 to do something that the avg. law enforcement officer can do at an hourly rate of far less than $30, and do it far more safely. Having an unarmed notary doing this is insane!!

Reply by Paul2_FL on 5/19/05 12:25am
Msg #38934

The money's not worth it. Aside from having to visit with these clowns, you will have to go into neighborhoods that could be high risk to you personally and your property (car and it's contents).

Reply by Louie on 5/19/05 7:37am
Msg #38949

Well, you must have agreed to this assignment -- it's your call. We go into homes on a daily basis without knowing who they are, or if they have a questionable personality.

Another thought, where I live it seems that the Police are having budget problems. They always say that they are under staffed and can't do certain things. What gets me is that when the Police go looking for a missing person.... and then days later the person shows up unharmed, & they just went to a relatives house and didn't tell anyone, the Police will make the person pay for their time on the search -- I thought that is what we pay our taxes for. I guess I must be missing something.

Reply by NOT TRUE on 5/19/05 10:40am
Msg #38980

THIS IS A BOGUS POST FOR SURE. NO WAY IS A TOWN PAYING A PRIVATE CITIZEN TO DO THIS! WHY WOULD YOU BRING THIS FAKE SUBJECT UP? LOSER!!

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/19/05 11:35am
Msg #38987

Definately bogus. No law enforcement agency in thier right mind would send a notary to do the job. Now if I were a man at least 6ft. tall, a cop, PI, or Bounty Hunter who has legal authority to pack I would do it. Also I was told by the sheriffs dept. that a private citizen could request a sweep of the nieghborhood to verify residence of sex offenders and they would handle it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.