Signing Location
Notary Discussion History

Signing Location
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by RodriguezNotaries on 5/26/05 3:49pm
Msg #40610

Signing Location

Hi there...Newbie here with a question.
I was wondering if any of you seasoned signers out there have an opinion on having the borrowers meet you at a location, as opposed to going to their homes. Say, maybe having them meet you at a starbucks, or a library. Also, aside from the personal safety issues, is there anything wrong with having them meet you at your home?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/26/05 4:03pm
Msg #40613

They are paying for the convenience of having a notary come to their home, and we are being payed to accommodate that. Signings can happen any wear but at the borrowers convenience. I would never have a signing at my home.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/26/05 4:05pm
Msg #40614

Often we do signings at other than the borrowers home.
Reasons: Safety, borrower's convience, late due to late docs and meet half way to complete.

I have done a few at my home. BUT, I had read the docs and one was an FBI agent, one a cop, and one was CIA. If they want a place other than their home, make it a public place and let someone know where you are doing the closing the SS/TC, spouse etc.

There are several consideration as why you do not want to do closing in your home. Insurance, business restrictions, something wrong with the loan and the borrower knows your house. Also, my home is my castle. friends are welcome. It is not set up as a place of business and would inconvienece my family.

Art

Reply by FlaNotary1 on 5/26/05 5:26pm
Msg #40627

I had one at my house just because when I called the borrower, she was uncertain what time she would be home. I told her to simply call me upon arrival b/c I lived right next door! On my way home, I realized her gate was blocked by tree trimmings (the county decided to trim the trees and block her entrance gate). Rather than going through the hassle, she called and asked if she could come to my house.

I had no problem with it b/c she was a young woman who's information seemed fine, and my family was not home yet. My rule is NOT to do closings at home, but I have thought of using a spare office my husband has in his business. I would certainly give the borrower the option, however if you word it properly, even the borrower my like the idea of going to an "office".

By the way, I am from (South) FL and will adjust my screen name accordingly. I have been reading for a few months now and love the informaiton I get from this board!

Good luck!!!

Reply by Chris-NV on 5/26/05 5:31pm
Msg #40629

Another Angle

Has anyone had the experience of calling a borrower to confirm the appointment and have the borrower tell you "Oh we can't meet at my house?" Just this week a lady said "Well, I don't have people come to my house." I'm thinking, "Geez, what's going on in there???" Giggle.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/26/05 5:40pm
Msg #40631

Re: Another Angle

She may have her reasons. Women living alone are not advised to have anyone turn up at their house, you never know and can never be too careful. Who knows there might be a crazed notary out there lol......finlay snapped from dealing with dead beat SS.j/k

Reply by missy_socal on 5/26/05 5:45pm
Msg #40634

They may have their reasons...

I had a signing a while ago, where the borrowers requested that I meet them at the local Coco's. They were having a family party later that afternoon, and didn't want anyone knowing their business (were I to cross paths with any early guests, I suppose).

The husband says to me on the phone, "We'll be able to eat lunch and sign. Don't worry, though, you don't have to pay for our lunch or anything." And he was completely serious! It just struck me a little funny.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/26/05 5:49pm
Msg #40635

Re: They may have their reasons...

Thats funny lol....pay for lunch indeed. I have been offered food and drinks when doing signings at restaurant's. I all ways decline.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/26/05 6:34pm
Msg #40644

If I were taking a client out to lunch, I would almost always offer to pay for their food. In this case, we are the lenders representative and the borrower is, in effect, our client. I would say it would be normal for him to expect you might offer and head you off at the pass. Which is good, because in this case we don't have the same incentives most people do to buy a client's lunch.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/26/05 6:37pm
Msg #40645

Now if i had an expense account with the lender, I would not mind buying the signers lunch. Smiley

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 5/26/05 7:15pm
Msg #40656

Or they could be like a certain member of my husbands family that just freaks out at any speck of lint in her house. She's so bad she once put towels down on the floor all the way to the hall so my niece could use the bathroom. I'd be more than happy to meet her at the library to sign, I won't go to her house.

Reply by Melody on 5/26/05 9:18pm
Msg #40696

No signings at my home.

I am a single woman guarded by an attack pug. She is about as much protection as a canary.

I don't want strangers in my home. Security thing.

I can see why borrowers might feel the same way. So many wackos out there. I never mind meeting borrowers at a Burger King or a Denny's. Especially if they are cutting miles off my drive.

In the winter, a few borrowers have offered to drive closer to me. They know it is hard for people to get through to their house in the snow. I am grateful.

Reply by Jim Gareau Sr on 5/27/05 3:51am
Msg #40748

Never @ home for the many reasons listed in previous comments..... I would contact the SS as they are the authority for making the appiontments and locations. If the client does not want anyone in their home it's their privledge, they should contact the SS... this will save you time and money....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.