Notary Rotary
Slow
Notary Discussion History

Slow
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Angela on 5/21/05 7:40pm
Msg #39554

Slow

The last three months have been really slow , I have only done five signings. Any advice on how to get more signings in my area.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 5/21/05 8:07pm
Msg #39556

Market, strategize, market

During your downtime it would be a good idea to start a marketing campaign. Start thinking outside the box. Loan signings are not the only notarizations that can make a profit. Check out your local demographics. Call insurance claims adjusters, give them your business cards. I had a couple of signings today and the rest of my week is going to be brutal. All B have been confirmed so, off I go to the races.

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/21/05 10:06pm
Msg #39562

Re: Market, strategize, market

Nicole - I always enjoy your posts. Smiley

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 5/22/05 3:17pm
Msg #39594

Thanks Brenda n/m

Reply by CA_Jeanet on 5/22/05 12:03am
Msg #39567

Nicole, where in CA are you? I'm in rural northern CA and it's been slow.

Reply by Nd_WA on 5/22/05 2:38am
Msg #39573

I had a few tips earlier that lenders have been conentrated on the west coast (2000+ loans per month) due to rise in the housing market. Sure enough, April was steady and I'm having the best month ever.

I took time during the slow month of Feb/Mar and built an ultimate office in the trunk of my car then market that ability. Everyone thought it was neat b/c it's time conserving and I can avoid those unwanted 2nd trip where docs were sent after I've left for the signing or just about anything. 90% of my signings are edocs, for that reason, I'm not getting tied up or stress over having to wait for docs to come in the mail. Now I can get and print them on the go.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 5/22/05 9:15am
Msg #39578

My office in my car has saved me more times than I can count. I had a signing on Thursday night where the whole loan had the wrong address. Called the loan company, no answer. The doc were sent to me in word. They also had not put the wife on the RTC. I went in and corrected the docs, called the company in the morning and they really were impressed.
Having a laser printer and my laptop saved me during the hurricanes, when I had no electricity for 2 weeks. I worked out of my car printing docs, eating dinner in my car. I have wireless internet on my laptop in my car through T-mobile. It really was a life saver due to my comcast being down also. This week I would not have been able to do as many signings as I did without my car office

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/22/05 3:16pm
Msg #39593

Could you elaborate on 'office in car'

I'm just having a hard time picturing this... you're driving to the signing and a printer in your trunk is spewing out the docs... No! Yes? Paint me a word picture of how this works, please.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 5/22/05 9:49pm
Msg #39617

Re: Could you elaborate on 'office in car'

I have a wireless laptop on a desktop on the front seat. I have a printer in the back of my SUV, not the trunk. I have a 3000 watt power inverter that my printer and laptop are plugged into. When the docs are late, I drive to the home, pull over to check my email and print. I have a whole office in the back. My fedex supplies, clips, paper supply. File cabinet with Notary forms, etc. I have my camera in the back with the battery charging for when I do my inspections. I also can charge my flashlights for when I inspect a foreclosed property. I have a cooler for cold drinks and my lunch. I truly live in my car at times.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 5/23/05 3:43am
Msg #39637

Margaret: Epitomy of Resourceful.. Kudos to You!

You must have been a Girl Scout with all that preparedness. Good for you. Very impressive.

Z

Reply by BrendaTx on 5/23/05 4:02am
Msg #39638

Margaret, Are you using the Hot Spot T-Mobile, or the wireless internet package...or both.

I am confused about what the wireless internet for 19.95 per month is about. Geez...getting a communications company on the phone is not easy. How ironic.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 5/23/05 6:28am
Msg #39640

I have both Hot Spot and and 24/7 internet package. I only pay 19.95 for the 24/7 and 9.95 a month for the Hot Spot because I am already a T-Mobile customer for my cell phone. For the 24/7 internet, you have to purchase a card to insert into your computer and it cost over $300. The card you purchase to insert for the hot spots is the same one you get for your wireless network in your home and then you turn on your wireless button on your computer. That card only cost about 50.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/22/05 8:39pm
Msg #39608

>>> I went in and corrected the docs <<<

While I understand that your intentions were good, and probably nothing will come of it, I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing this. It would be very easy for the lender and/or title to charge you with UPL. If anything needs to be changed, it needs to be changed by the lender or title company, not the NSA. (Notary certificates excluded.) If the address is wrong on the docs, so note it, let the borrowers change it if they wish (and initial on all documents) and include an note stating the changes. Don't take it on yourself to change the address or make any other changes.

As a notary, you cannot prepare any of the documents, and that's basically what you did by changing them and printing them out. Now the docs you had printed and signed do not match the docs as submitted by the lender. And the address on the docs no longer matches the address on the myriad of documents in the closing file that you don't even see.

Reply by Bill/CA on 5/22/05 8:53pm
Msg #39609

I agree. Scarey!

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 5/22/05 9:42pm
Msg #39616

This loan company does not allow hand written changes to the docs. I work with them all the time and they allow me to change any errors. I always get permission prior to changing it. I called them afterwards and they said I did good.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 5/23/05 9:03am
Msg #39653

Sorry Jeanet..I am in the SF Bay ARea

I am in the SF Bay Area, where my signings have been a steady 10-15 per month. Anything over this number, I refer them to another notary in my area. I do this part-time, but with checking the docs, downloading edocs, prepping the documents, my part-time hours have increased from 16 to 32 hours a week.

I have one lender who calls me first for all of their loans in this area. I met this lender at a meet and greet for real estate. Thus far, this has been a very profitable arrangement.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.