Notary Rotary
SwiftView: Aaarrrggghhh! HELP! Please?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Ernest_CT on 5/13/05 7:23pm
Msg #37636

I've never had a problem with PDF docs, or with nearly any other kind, for that matter. The first time I attempted to print the package the third page printed double its size (both horizontally and vertically). A call to DigitalDocs got the advice to use "Windows Print" mode. That fixed the size problem for the third page, but it took forever to print. (I'd ask the software to print two [2] copies; it printed three [3], but at that point I wasn't complaining.) I thanked the tech and hung up.

So far as I can tell (and believe me, I looked!) there is nowhere on the screen that says the page being displayed in number x of y. Only by invoking go-to-page-number did I find that there are 71 pages in the package. When I counted the printed pages, there are 64!

I spent 10 minutes trying to get through on DigitalDocs toll-free number. When I finally got a tech, he argued with me that the screen MUST have "page 3 of 71" somewhere on it. We went back and forth, him not believing me and I not believing him. His only "solution" was to print the pages 10 at a time.

Using the tech's "solution" will give me three copies of SOME pages, perhaps one copy of all the pages, and MAYBE a master set to compare.

What am I doing wrong??? I've been a software developer (design and development), first- through highest-level support person, and a computer power-user for more than 25 years, but this takes the cake!

Thank you!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/13/05 7:27pm
Msg #37637

E-mail me and I will give you a private e-mail for a NotRot computer genius.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/13/05 7:36pm
Msg #37640

Thanks! Email is on its way. n/m

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/13/05 10:18pm
Msg #37686

Re: Thanks! Email is on its way. n/m

Sorry I took so long - I was at my sister's 40th b-day dinner.

Reply by Becca/FL on 5/13/05 7:58pm
Msg #37653

I have found, when printing from Swiftview using the "windows print" mode, that you can not use the print icon on your toolbar. Are you using the print icon to the right of the displayed doc in the SwiftView program itself? Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm no guru. In fact, I'm IT challenged, but have picked up a few things in the biz.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/13/05 8:02pm
Msg #37655

Thanks. I am using the SwiftView "Print" icon. n/m

Reply by pan/nd on 5/13/05 10:18pm
Msg #37687

Ernest_CT,

I had the same problem with Swiftview that you're having. Somewhere on this board or on GMN somebody said the way to fix the problem is to download the "Postscript" driver from
HP and install it.

I did and it solved the problem I had. Swiftview now prints out like a trooper.

However, you have to select that driver before you print. But, heck, it's one of the selections in the print box ..so no big deal.

Having said all this...I'm running windows 98 ( I voted for Calvin Coolidge in the last election)..so, maybe it might be different with windows xp..which, I imagine, is what you've got.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/13/05 10:45pm
Msg #37690

Thank you!

When I get the next SwiftView docs I'll give the Postscript driver a try.

How'd you know I'm running XP?!r I was a fan of 98 (and NT, of course), so when I got the new machine I jumped at the chance too have XP Professional as my OS.

If I'd known that Silent Cal was running I'd have voted for him in '04 also! Oops! I'm not going to discuss politics....

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/13/05 10:52pm
Msg #37691

The SwiftView work-around: 10 pages at a time!

Yes, folks, printing 10 pages at a time in the "Windows Print" selection from the "Print Method" drop-down was the only way I could get reliable results. (GRUMBLE, grumble!) At least the signing isn't until Saturday morning. (sigh)

pan/nd suggested downloading the HP Postscript driver and trying that. Because the docs have been printed, I'll wait 'til next time to try that.

When Paul has time, I'll ask his opinion and post here.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/14/05 12:02pm
Msg #37773

Re: The SwiftView work-around: 10 pages at a time!

SorrY I couldn't give you more info. than you already knew! Thanks for keeping us updated - it sounds like an error that can catch any one of us off guard.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/14/05 8:32pm
Msg #37850

Ernest_CT - email me please

I am out of town (until Monday), so please send me an email (see profile) and I will respond accordingly upon my return.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/14/05 9:15pm
Msg #37854

Paul: You should have email waiting. Thanks! n/m

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/14/05 3:20am
Msg #37724

Print one copy at a time, don't ask for two. I have not had problems with swiftview, but was given this advise by a friend. You can also scroll through the doc's on swiftwiewer if you are missing pages. Which they would just use one viewer, now we even have to go on web sites to get the doc's and if the ss isn't up on things can be a pain.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 5/14/05 10:29am
Msg #37758

I don't know if this is way to simplistic, but, couldn't you save docs to desktop and open and print with adobe??

Reply by Ernesst_CT on 5/14/05 9:22pm
Msg #37855

Thanks, but no.

Thank you for the suggestion! Please don't apologize for suggesting a simple answer!

Alas, from what I could find in SwiftView, there was no save-as-PDF option. I LOVE PDF! I HATE programs that try to re-invent the wheel by creating "better" interfaces! The worst offenders are those programs which automagically print the whole package at once; if the printer runs out of toner on the 84th page of 95 pages, you have to restart from page 1! Why can't people let us download a PDF (or other STANDARD format) file, then print it off-line?r That way we can view on the screen (SwiftView's view-the-file interface did not work correctly for me), print the whiole package or just n pages, and re-print if there's a problem.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/14/05 9:29pm
Msg #37856

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was just trying to print one copy.

The scrolling and paging did not work correctly for me. The DigitalDocs tech refused to believe that my screen did not say somewhere "Page x of y". The fact that he argued with me about what was on MY screen did not endear him to me. First he said that the "Page x of y" should appear on the upper right, and when I double-checked and said "No, it's not there." he said "Well, maybe it is on the lower right."

Why did the screen label a toll-free phone number "SwiftView Support" if the tech could/would not help me?r

I'm looking forward to PAW's email message on Monday. At this point I consider SwiftView the worst software I've seen in years++.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.