Notary Rotary
We are famous, did you know?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Fay, CA on 5/19/05 11:59am
Msg #38998

First, Tom Cruise posed as a notary public to gain entrance into a victim's home to kill him in the movie Collateral and now David Letterman last night jokingly stated that there would be a new series called "NP" based on the exciting day-to-day life of a notary public. LOL.

I guess everybody knows one notary public in their life.

Reply by Charm_AL on 5/19/05 12:08pm
Msg #39001

I Love Letterman!!! - he's a nut

Reply by FeFe/Indy on 5/19/05 2:31pm
Msg #39044

Re: Are we BORING?

Who of you finds this job boring and mindless? Just wondering. I don't (maybe because I'm new?) but I was thinking it might get that way after I get "used" to it -- after years and years (or months and months) of signings.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/19/05 2:52pm
Msg #39052

Believe me it is never boring, just when you think you have seen it all, something new will pop upSmiley

Reply by DellaCa on 5/19/05 3:50pm
Msg #39063

I love it, never a dull moment ( unless the phone is not ringing) then the house work gets a little boring!

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 5/19/05 6:01pm
Msg #39099

Common law Notaries Public ...

Common law Notaries Public are the lowest paid public official in the world.

... of course the Tree Warden in my town gets $50 a year. Don't know when the last time we had a rogue tree. Although some have been known to leap out in front of cars!

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/19/05 6:08pm
Msg #39103

Honestly, I find the job to be pretty boring and mindless. Yes, you need an eye for detail, but it's really not that difficult to complete a signing correctly once you know what you're doing. I've been doing it for a little over 2 years now. It's pretty much just drive, drive, drive, "sign here. and here . and here. and here", drive, drive, drive. My biggest challenge with this job is trying to avoid traffic.

But I love all the free time it affords me so I'm willing to deal with the dull work until I figure out something I'd like doing better.

Reply by Melody on 5/19/05 8:28pm
Msg #39133

CaliNotary - how can you say our job is boring?

With all the characters I meet in this job, I would never say being an NSA is boring.

We meet people in their homes where they are comfortable. We are looking at the credit scores and 1003s. They figure they have nothing to hide. So they are unguarded in their words and behavior.

We meet a wide variety of charming and alarming people. I love not knowing what the heck will happen next!

Tomorrow's line up:
*First appointment: Signing in "up and coming" neighborhood. Could be yuppies. Could be trailer trash. (Hope it's trailer trash - they are funnier.)
*Second appt: in a very bigotted little town where everyone is the same brand of Christian religion or they are psycho-muscled out of town. It's like a Jim Jones cult. Could be creapy.
*Third appt: Adoption papers for a couple adopting a baby from Russia. Home is lakeside in a gorgeous private resort.

Plus almost everyone has a dog or three! I love dogs!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/19/05 5:46pm
Msg #39088

Anyone remember Don Martin - writer/graphic artist for Mad Magazine? In one of his books he has a story called Lance Parkertip - Noted Notary Public. His embosser's sound effect is written "klilrunk". It just cracks me up every time.

Reply by Roger/OH on 5/19/05 8:26pm
Msg #39131

Showing some mileage there, Sam...

To remember the late Don Martin and the great stable of MAD artists. One of the highlights of my adolescence was having my mind warped by MAD. I still have a lot of those old issues; what a hoot to read them now. I especially am amazed at the fictional inventions they thought were crazy back then, but some have actually come to pass!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/19/05 8:57pm
Msg #39145

Re: Showing some mileage there, Sam...

My favourite part of the magazine was the fold together thingy in the back Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.