Notary Rotary
Web Hosting
Notary Discussion History

Web Hosting
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by maryinsocal on 5/30/05 2:56am
Msg #41173

Web Hosting

Does anybody know of a cheap reliable web hosting company ?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/30/05 8:32am
Msg #41181

You can get webhosting from $0 to thousands per month depending on what you need. It's like asking for a cheap car. There are many, many different options that need to be considered. I suggest you simply do a broad search (using Google, DogPile, etc.) for webhosting services. Then look at what each provider has to offer.

Then, after picking a handful, you may ask others what their opinions are about such-n-such a host. As a reference point to get started, take a look at Go Daddy (http://www.GoDaddy.com). They are one of the largest, if not the largest, registrar and host in the county. They have many programs available depending on what your needs are.

To give you an idea of how many there are, go to http://www.internic.net/alpha.html. You may be surprised.

Reply by maryinsocal on 5/30/05 1:04pm
Msg #41198

Thank you very much for the imformation.

Reply by John_NorCal on 5/30/05 10:43am
Msg #41190

I have a plan with Go Daddy. I bought the lowest priced one for $37.92 per year. I purchased a program to let me create a 7 page site with animation, that program cost me $92.00. Like PAW says, you need to research and find what you want to do. My site is
http://www.notary-4you.com

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/30/05 5:55pm
Msg #41240

John_NorCal's Site is one of the most obnoxious I've ever seen! Way too much flash and way too little substance. It breaks most of the rules, chief among them don't play any sound without being asked or at least getting the visitor's permission. The chirp when the mouse hovers over a clickable option is extremely annoying. There is no point to the opening montage.

In short, this Site shows clearly why Web design should not be in the hands of the untrained.

Reply by Jurnei1 on 5/31/05 12:58pm
Msg #41307

Wow that was friendly, but I must admit I've had the site open for a few moments and I want to hit my computer.

Reply by James AL on 5/30/05 2:34pm
Msg #41210

Hi Mary, I have some information for you concerning website design. You can email me at [e-mail address]. Thanks

Reply by jerrytuttle on 5/31/05 7:37am
Msg #41269

Free Web Hosting

Before you pay a monthly web hosting fee, see if your Internet provider provides free hosting as part of its package. For example, AOL and Verizon provide this within their monthly fee. Unless you are planning an enormous website, or you are planning to conduct business over the Internet (accept money, etc.), you would probably find your current Internet provider will handle your needs just fine.

If you are concerned that having a webpage with AOL, Verizon, etc. in its address is not what you want, you can buy a domain name (for under ten dollars a year) and have that domain name cloak the AOL/Verizon address.

Jerry Tuttle
www.SoOrangeNotary.com

Reply by Jurnei1 on 5/31/05 1:18pm
Msg #41311

I use netstrive.com and I find them to be responsive whenever I have a problem come up, this has included an emergency call at 11:00 at night- 1:00 in the morning their time, when my site went down because of my fiddling around and losing it.

I paid a couple hundred for the first year, and I understand subquent years will be about 40.00 or less including renewal of the domain. This includes the webhosting and any emergencies, as well as A LOT of answering my stupid questions and steering me in the right direction as far as search engine optimization. I have really been quite impressed.

I did have a negative experience with one company that specializes in websites for notaries who quoted one fee and then changed it the next day stating the I didn't decide fast enough for him. Based on that I didn't feel him to be responsive to my needs for the long run.

I do the weekly work on my site myself and like to keep it that way. I'm frequently adding content to improve my service for the consumer.

Free hosting sites are not usually accepted in the major search engine directories, so there's a risk associated with going for a free ride. But that all depends on whether you want to show up when someone does a search on google, msn, or yahoo. Some folks just want a site to refer their customers to and don't really care about search engines. Personal choice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.