Notary Rotary
Working as a notary public
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 5/3/05 7:12pm
Msg #35650

Hello everyone. I am considering becoming a notary public in Orange County, CA. I feel it would fit into my lifestyle perfectly, being semi-retired (53 yrs old), and would be able to devote about 30 hrs a week to the occupation. My question is: with the amount of time I have available, can one actually make a decent supplemental income ($30,000+, lets say) as a mobile notary? I plan on becoming certified to notarize loan docs. Thank you for your time and advice.

Reply by Read the search board on 5/3/05 7:57pm
Msg #35658

There is TONS of useful information on the search board from seasoned NSA's. That's the place to start. Good luck!

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/3/05 8:02pm
Msg #35660

I also recommend doing a zipcode search in your area just on this site alone to see how saturated your area is. That will not include notaries on other boards such as the NNA. Please research before you decide to commit yourself to this business.

Reply by Melody on 5/3/05 8:06pm
Msg #35661

No

"can one actually make a decent supplemental income ($30,000+, lets say)"

Sorry, but not in Orange County. OC truly has HUNDREDS of notary signing agents that have been established for years. Southern California has the most notaries per city in the USA. Tough competition for you.

Plus the loan industry is slowing down due to rising interest rates.

You would be lucky to get the low-pay or no-pay leftover jobs.

I no longer live in California, so I am not saying this because you would be competition to me. I just hate to see you think you could make decent money in Southern California.

You can do a search on this board using the words "saturated" and "California" if you want to read other posts to verify what I say.

You can search for ideas on other work-for-yourself careers on these websites:
*www.iVillage.com
Go to the Work section. Then look for Work At Home. The articles are so-so. The chat boards are terrific.
*www.BizyMoms.com You don't have to be a Mom. Just look for ideas.
*www.DrLaura.com I can't stand the woman. But the Work At Home Mom section is good.

Once you get a few ideas on some careers that interest you, see if you can find a Yahoo group on that topic. They are message boards like this one. http://groups.Yahoo.com

Good luck!

Reply by ColleenCA on 5/3/05 8:39pm
Msg #35666

Re: No- Melody You Are Correct

It is very hard to earn a "living" in Southern California no matter where you are located. The SS's call the "regulars" first and then the rest goes to the newbies. I guess we all have to pay our dues, but with the saturation it is getting more and more difficult. I thought by now I would be able to be a SA as a full-time career, but reality is far from it.

Reply by Not Really! on 5/3/05 8:46pm
Msg #35669

I agree with all of the above, I would say you would not be making $30,000.00 a year. I think it is possible to market yourself, have a warm professional approach and you would begin to establish a community/business relationship. I don't think you would be able to place a time frame on work hours or success. Best of luck with you! I do live in Lake Arrowhead, CA feel free to contact me with further questions.

[e-mail address]

Reply by Lalas_socal on 5/3/05 9:28pm
Msg #35677

sadly, I must agree with the other posts pertaining to the work situation in california, Unless you have a direct connection with someone in the lending business its a tough biz to break into. Good luck to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.