Notary Rotary
charging
Notary Discussion History

charging
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by cmr/nc on 5/5/05 10:51am
Msg #35978

charging

Should I charge the signer the regular signing fee when I am getting paid by the attorney? From my understanding I am suppose to receive a $3.00 for the signer as well as payment from the attroney.
Thanks

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/5/05 10:55am
Msg #35981

Charge the attorney ONLY. I have no idea why you would receive $3 form the signer, unless you are thinking about $3 per notarial act.

Reply by cmr/nc on 5/5/05 11:02am
Msg #35985

It was my understanding that I should charge for notary act by signer (which is their signature). So I guess this would be considered a notary act by the signer. Is that correct?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/5/05 11:10am
Msg #35989

Well, sort of.

If the attorney is paying you for your travel and time, then the $3 for a notarial act should be waived. (It is the notary, not the signer, who is performing the notarial act.) Most of the time a notary public charges enough for travel, time, and other services so that the fee for the actual notarization is rolled into the whole package. For example, if you were to go to an accountant's or attorney's office within five miles of your home and notarize one document you might charge $25. That would include travel, parking, time spent, and the actual notarization.

You must, of course, keep in mind your state laws on charging mileage, as well as the allowed fee per notarial act.

Is that more clear?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/5/05 11:16am
Msg #35990

That, by the way, is why Notary Signing Agents who do loan/mortgage/heloc signings do not charge per notarial act. We charge for reviewing the documents, travel to and from the signing, the actual notarizations, faxbacks (if any), dropping off the completed forms, and reporting the status of the signing.

Notary Signing Agents (NSAs) aren't just notaries. We know what to expect, so that (for example) if the HUD is not included with the package, we call the signing service immediately so that the signing can go forward. We know where the interest rate can be found, if the borrower asks. We are always firm about not giving legal advice, and not answering any "Can I get a better rate from another lender?" questions.

Good luck!

Reply by cmr/nc on 5/5/05 11:32am
Msg #35997

Thanks Ernest. What you said really explains it to the point. Smiley

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/5/05 11:42am
Msg #36001

You're welcome! Happy to help. Good luck! n/m

Reply by Ted_MI on 5/5/05 4:41pm
Msg #36090

Re: So what is the basis of your understanding?

CMR,

Is your understanding based upon an agreement that you have with the attorney and with the signer that you will also receive $3.00 from the signer (per signature presumably)? Or is it just based upon some reference in your state notary laws as to what a notary can charge for each notarized signature? If it is the latter, I would look stirctly to the attorney for your compensation.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.