Notary Rotary
downloading pdf docs....AAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Brijoe_WA on 5/23/05 4:25pm
Msg #39792

I have been sitting here for the last hour waiting for these docs to downloan. Does anyone have any problems with it taking FOREVER when docs com in pdf format. All other download programs I use I have no problem with, just pdf. Is there something I can do to speed this up? I read some old posts, and something was mentioned about the file being an image not a text file which are alot bigger. Is there a way to tell if the file is an image file? and can I change it? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/23/05 4:44pm
Msg #39801

Have you tried downloading with Adobe Acrobat 7.0?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/23/05 5:09pm
Msg #39809

Another example of why we don't put much faith in anonymous posts. Downloading is not related to Adobe Acrobat versions. Download speed depends on the bandwidth of the Internet connection (i.e., slow on dialup, fast on DSL).

Always, always download to your computer first, then open the file. Don't try to view the docs with your browser first.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/23/05 4:56pm
Msg #39807

are you actually downloading it, or trying to open it from the server? if so, you may get better results from doing a 'save as' to your desktop, then opening it.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 5/23/05 6:29pm
Msg #39836

I have no problems viewing the documents, it is when I send it over to print is when it takes forever to send all the pages. One tip I was told was to change the resolution, whish I did, and it staill takes almost an hour to send and print 100 pages.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/23/05 6:50pm
Msg #39848

The issues there are going to be printer memory, and the speed of the printer. It has to spool up alot of stuff. It will be horribly slow if you don't have enough memory. I used a Laserjet 1100 for about a day when I started because I already owned it. Halfway through the set of documents I went and bought a new printer.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/23/05 7:02pm
Msg #39853

The problem is (I'm betting on this) is that the PDF file is 100 pages of images. That means each page has to be rendered like it was printing a picture of the document. It is s-l-o-w. The only way to make is faster is throw gobs of memory in your PC (where the image is rendered as a TIF and converted to the commands for the printer) and gobs of memory in your printer (where the commands are read to create a printable image of the page). Some of these pages can take a minute or more to render and print and there's not a whole lot more you can do but sit back and have a sip of brandy.

There are two tell-tale signs that the PDF file is an image file rather than a text file: (1) the file size is generally much larger than 1.5Mb; and (2) you cannot search for a word in the document.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/23/05 7:29pm
Msg #39862

Try and print the first 5 pages. If this is significantly quicker than what it takes for the 5 pages when you print say 1 thru 20 , then you do have a memory problem.
1. Shut down as many other programs as possible.
2. Print in batches of 10 or 20 pages.

Art

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/23/05 11:33pm
Msg #39921

If you have a local memory problem... then...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.