Notary Rotary
got paid twice
Notary Discussion History

got paid twice
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by best of the west I guess on 5/31/05 11:49pm
Msg #41379

got paid twice

damn, I must be good. I didn't realize it untill right now. I have already cashed the ck.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/1/05 12:34am
Msg #41385

Make the most of your good fortune.

Write -- don't call -- the scheduler who sent you the assignment. Ask him/her whether he wants a refund, or does he just want you to give them a freebie next time. Don't contact accounts payable; they don't care whether you ever get another assignment. They will just want to correct their error. The scheduler, on the other hand, will recognize you as a class act, hopefully will tell you just do a freebie next time, and thereafter will keep shoveling assignments your way. Don't -- repeat, don't -- call. You want to make and endearing and enduring impression; writing does that better.

Good luck.

Reply by best of the west I guess on 6/1/05 12:53am
Msg #41387

sound advice, always best to do the right thing. I was definitely going to offer a "freebie", but hadn't considered writing.

The funny thing is, when I received the first ck, there was another person's envelope stuck to it. Now, this was stamped and canceled at the post office. Not the signing services fault at all. So, I just stuck it back in the mail.

God must be keeping an eye on me. Maybe I need to read the book of Job before I go to bed.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/1/05 6:45am
Msg #41398

I totally disagree. I have been paid twice for a few assignments and handled it professionally through telephone calls. I may need to call the scheduler only to find out who handles their payables as most often, at least with title companies, the scheduler doesn't cut your check nor has any idea that you may have been paid twice or the payment is in error. Even with some signing services, the scheduler doesn't know.

After talking with the payables person, a determination was made whether or not to return the check, refund the money (if the check had already been deposited, which has never been the case), or simply destroy the check.

If necessary, follow up the call with a letter, but I suggest you call the company/agency that sent you the check as soon as you determine something is amiss, whether it be missing payments, incorrect payments, or double payments.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/1/05 7:22am
Msg #41400

Of course the scheduler doesn't cut his check, Paul. That wasn't the purpose of contacting the scheduler. The purpose of contacting the scheduler, who will naturally refer the matter to accounts payable, initially was so that the scheduler would be aware that the NSA was acting honorably and professionally. Otherwise, he might never know. And the purpose of writing, rather than calling, was to drive home that impression with the scheduler.

You almost surely had an ongoing, long-time relationship with the companies that paid you twice. I assume the poster does not enjoy that benefit, and it would be to his advantage to establish his bonafides. What I suggested was an easy, cost-free way to do precisely that.

Reply by Charm_AL on 6/1/05 9:50am
Msg #41421

yep, someone cashed my check

If everyone was ethical about receiving payment for work not done and being honest about it to the SS, we'd all be in better shape. Just because the check is in your name doesn't mean it's yours if it was a mistake and you know you didn't do a signing in another state.
I JUST got to the bottom of my problem with Paramount Signings and found out someone else got my check. It clearly said for _______ in Guntersville AL 3/16. Apparently she cashed it anyway and I was out $120. now for the last three months....Good going girl

We must maintain accurate accts pay/rec records !

This ordeal took a lot of my time and energy and calls, and letters and frustration

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 6/1/05 12:00pm
Msg #41474

I got someone else's check...

The envelope was stuck to my check envelope and while my name is Cherilyn, this check had Cheryl and I opened it on accident.

It was for about 5 jobs and quite a bit of cash. I put it in another envelope, addressed it to her with a note saying that I was sorry I opened it on accident. I put my own stamp on it.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't sleep at night thinking I took someone else's hard earned $. I knew the money wasn't mine, just as the girl who cashed your check knew it wasn't hers! Karma, you know, what comes around goes around.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.